+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Self taught caster needs help with 'snap hook'

Default Self taught caster needs help with 'snap hook'

Looking for a little advice or some pointers on a casting problem I have. First off I am self-taught caster and so I am sure my flaws are numerous, but I also live in a part of the country where there are very few people around that I might be able to seek help from unless I want to know how deep to run a Rappala to catch walleyes .

My problem is at the very end of my cast as my leader is laying out and fly is turning over. At the very last second my fly 'snap-hooks' to the left. I am a right handed caster. Related to that problem it also feels like i am casting a bungee cord at times as my fly-line seems to recoil back towards me as i am trying to lay down the cast. This has really caused my some trouble when I am trying to make accurate dry fly presentations to risers holding in feeding lanes. Any thoughts???

It seems you are putting too much power in your forward cast. Let the loop form then stop and let the loop unfurl at its own pace. What you discribe seems there is still too much energy at the end of your cast or, put another way, you have ran out of line before you run out of force causing the line (+ leader and fly) to kick back on you.

Rejoice! You have mastered the 'slack-line' 'recoil', 'left-hand' curve cast. Do it directly overhead, not at an angle and you have the 'tuck-cast' too!

There are very few Absolutes in flyfishing/casting. one of those is the line will absolutly follow the path of the rod. if your cast always ends with the fly headed left so must your rod tip. maybe very hard to notice but it is there.

Rich

Rich is correct, you are indeed throwing a "curve ball" Nice cast to have in your arsenal but maddening when it throws off your accuracy.

The flyline follows the path of the rod tip when you stop the rod, you right hand is turning ever-so-slightly to the left.

Practice 25 foot casts to a target until the line unfurls in a straight line. Think about driving a nail straight into a wall.

Joseph

.....or stand a little further to your right.

K3's, besides the hook to the left situation, I'm wondering where your rod tip is as the leader and then the flyline are settling to the water. I'll ask that another way...ok, right after you stop the rod on your forward cast, what are you doing with the fly rod.

MontanaMoose

Just slow everything down a bit. Experiment on trying to slow down on the speed of the line. If that does'nt work try to stop your forword cast right at 12'oclock insted of 10 or 11. Let us know if it works. Later.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEWINGOLIVE
    your right hand is turning ever-so-slightly to the left
    Two respondents suggested this error at the END of the cast, but there is another more common cause. Your elbow and forearm are possibly doing exactly what they should, but you are twisting your wrist on the back-cast. The line does indeed follow the rod tip BUT, if you rotate your wrist on the back-cast such that you cannot see the reel but you can see your thumb (when you look to the side to peek), and the butt of the rod is somewhat behind your head (with tip somewhat behind your opposite shoulder), then you can come perfectly straight forward on the forecast, but the rod has described an arc from behind your head to the position in front - and the line follows that arc.

As for the snap at the end of the cast, I agree with the others, don't snap - just stop the rod. The best cast for good presentation is probably you last false-cast, not your actual cast where you put in more 'oomph'.

Thanks all for the advice! I am going to have someone try and take some digital video clips of me and see if I can pinpoint any of the suggestions mentioned...........

K3 - been there done that. Jerry is right, it is from overpowering the forward stroke and probably from having the rod tip not directly overhead, but off to the right at an angle. I would always get excited just before the final forward cast, just before releasing the line, and I would try to punch it out ahead. As a result you overpower the forward power stroke. Don't speed up or power up on the final delivery. Just relax a bit and stop the rod at the right height. The rod will unload like a spring and generate the shooting power you need.

The bungee thing sounds like you might be stopping the rod abruptly at a high position.

JC is also right, don't necessarily unlearn these two casting phenominons. The first method is a curve cast, which if you can exploit is a mighty nice technique, and the second is a tuck or parachute cast, which is great for getting nymphs down to the bottom quickly.

+ Reply to Thread