+ Reply to Thread

Thread: casting loop and sink tips

Default casting loop and sink tips

Does all the talk about casting loops apply mostly to throwing floating lines? For me to throw moderate to long distance in a sink tip line, I must back cast a little off vertical and then forward a little more vertical to keep the line from tangling/crashing. (Belgian?) It seems to be more about keeping the forward and backward casts in slightly different planes. Maybe I just need some casting help.

Ole

I am no casting expert and hopefully JC will read this post and chime in, but I have found that when I throw a sink tip, I have to slow down a bit and also open up my loop. The rods I am using are med/fast so maybe this isn't true on a fast action rod. As far as casting on a different plane, I honestly don't know.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

I honestly don't know either Dave so I'll be listening too.

What I'm certain about Ole, is that your line and loop should still be kept in the same plane when using a sink tip or standard floating line.

Try speeding your cast up a little, laying out that cast a bit more off vertical. I'm at nearly 60 deg with a sink tip as opposed to the usual maybe 75 deg. with a floater. But your loop should still be in that same plane.

HTH

Jeremy.

How much line do you have out when you start your cast? I strip in most of the line to get the fly off the bottom of the river and to avoid overloading the rod. With a heavy sinktip, I doesn't take a lot of line to load the rod. I add a double haul and I get all the distance that I need.

The question that I have is how do you get distance when casting 2 weighted large nymphs along with 2 bb sinkers and a big fluffy indicator. I switch between nymphing and swinging for metalheads this time of year. The former is a lot harder when distance comes into play.

+ Reply to Thread