+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oregon Saltwater

Default Oregon Saltwater

Howdy Salty Dogs,

I went out again this weekend for some salty adventure, and while I never pulled the fish I hooked to the surface, it was a great day. The fish nearly pulled me off the jetty and fought like he**!!! Eventually it hung my line on the rocks and broke my brand new fly line. I was wondering if there was anyone else here in OR that fishes the salt and wold like a fishing buddy. I don't have anyone to go with in the salt and would like to have a compatriot. I could also use any advice you all might have. I live around Portland and usually go out around Tillamook, but would travel farther for a new adventure.

Adam

I haven't salted yet Adam, but I sure want to. How far south do you go? The closest to me is Reedsport and keep in mind I haven't wet a line in the ocean yet, but I'm ready to and that includes gearwise except maybe for flys. PM with particulars if you like.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Blog Entries

I no longer live on the coast, but there was a fly shop just south of waldport that specialized in salt water, if it is still there it was a nice shop.

Eric

Usta live in seal rock and coquille.
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Adam: First get your self a tide chart and carry it with you. 2nd, if you like the Tillamook bay area there is a fantastic spot to fly fish from and you can catch some mighty fine searun cutts. When driving south from Garabaldi on 101, you will notice just south of Bay City a portion of the highway with the Tillamook bay on the ocean side of the road and a very large salt water lake on the left. There is a hughe culvert allowing the tide to move in and out of the salt water lake. Little know also is at the SE end of the lake is a small stream, up that stream is a fish hatchery raising salmon smolts. This may not sound classy, but if you get there when the tide is starting to come in, you can cast easily from the shorline, and let your fly drift in the incoming current. I use a 9 wt rod, sink tip line and a size 2 thru 10 Royal Coachman Bucktail or a Skunk. Hold on tight because the fish will hammer your fly. Be prepared to strip in often to get seaweed off the fly. Check your hook often to make sure it is sharp. You can forget the fishing when the tide starts to slack at high. You will most likely get in at leas 3 hours of good fishing. Also, be prepared for a nice blue or silver surf perch to hammer your fly too. A long handled net would be good to take along. Get ahold of some Oregon fishing regulations and take them with you too. Enjoy, Jonezee

Jonezee...you amaze me ...not only have you experienced so much...but you can remember in such detail...I can hardly remember how to get from Salem to Tillamook

Yeah, well I walked from my home office into the kitchen the other day, stood in the middle of the kitchen and didn't have a clue what I went there for. Since it was 10 after 5 I had a beer.

I do that too only it gets worse. Once I realize I don't know why I left one room to go to another, I sometimes don't remember which room I left.

cheers,

MontanaMoose

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMoose
    I do that too only it gets worse. Once I realize I don't know why I left one room to go to another, I sometimes don't remember which room I left.

cheers,

MontanaMoose
    It's the room with the beer

This is great stuff!! Thanks to all.

Jonezee - What a great tip. I know the lake you are talking about. I will have to give ot a try.

Eric- I will be taking a look for that fly shop, thanks.

Moose - We should try and get together. I just found out I might be working out of town a lot this spring and early summer so it might have to be a little later, but I love that part of the coast. We went to Coos Bay from eastern WA nearly every summer as a kid.

Adam

Blog Entries

Eric- I will be taking a look for that fly shop, thanks.

thinking back it was at Yachats. pronounced Yah-hots
    on hwy 101 on the west side. I hope its still there I want to go back and try fishing that area sometime.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

+ Reply to Thread