+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leader Length?

Default Leader Length?

How do you decide what leader length you use?

e.g.
    Water clarity
    Species
    Dry or Wet
    Fly Size
    ETC. ETC.???

Trusting your serious about your question ...
    Obviously, there are always contributing factors as to what length is to be used, and not least of all, what works best for your particular style of casting. But the rule of thumb has always been to start with the approximate length of your rod, then adjusting as to conditions.

Dale

"Trusting your serious about your question ... "

I'm not sure what you meant? Was it that dumb?

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman
    "Trusting your serious about your question ... "

I'm not sure what you meant? Was it that dumb?
    Ducksterman, I was kinda curious to see what answers you got. After reading the post on THE KNOT, and people saying that they don't like that initial knot (line to leader) getting caught in their guides, I was curious as to how long of leader those people use. Personally, when I am bringing in a fish, right arm straight up holding rod and line tight, left arm stretched out holding net (shallow catch and release rubberized )to scoop up fish, I could get by with a 12' leader and never have the connection go through my tip top guide. That of course is with a 9' rod. Now and 8' I would be more incline to use a 9' leader, and again the same results.
    That is with a floating line, now with sinking line, well, that depends on the ZONE and then again I don't use tapered leaders for sinking lines.

Mostly nine or a little longer. Today in the perfectly clear water I used an eleven foot leader. Did not do any good tho. Danged fish.

Our leader length is usually determined by (the result of) how many times we have changed bugs.
    ....lee s.

Blog Entries

I think it depends on the Water clarity,Species,Dry or Wet,and of course the Fly Size.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Quote Originally Posted by lee s
    Our leader length is usually determined by (the result of) how many times we have changed bugs.
    ....lee s.
    So what did we start with?

Quote Originally Posted by Gnu Bee Flyer
    I think it depends on the Water clarity,Species,Dry or Wet,and of course the Fly Size.
    So what do you use in those circumstances?

When using a Strike indicator-weight-fly setup while nymph fishing a standard 9 foot leader will be sufficient. In most situations while dry fly fishing, the same length of leader will do. Now, if the water is clear, low, or the fish are skittish, and if all three(good luck) lengthen the leader out three feet of the next size down tippet. For instance, I would start with 4x and add three feet of 5x. I don't know why the three foot thing works, but the fly seems to turnover easier. Quite a few fisherman add more tippet anyways, the point is to get a good discreet presentation. Now if fishing with streamers, a 7 1/2' leader will be good with a 2x or 3x tippet size. Bigger flies are hard to control if the leader is too long and/or too light. Now if you do any lake or pond fishing, which I am quite biased towards, it all depends on where at in the water column the fish are feeding, water clarity, and what size of fly. I have borrowed a leader system from Denny Rickards and it is quite effective for me. I start with a 9' tapered leader with a 2x tippet and automaticaly add 3' of 3x. I use this when fishing bigger patterns like leeches and streamers. If fishing smaller insect patterns like damsel flies I can sometimes get away with the same, but normaly I add 3' of 4x. If I am fishing on the surface I will add 3' of 5x making the leader 15' long, which for clear stillwaters is a good choice. I use Flourocarbon on all my leaders, rivers and lakes and tie loop knots to the flies so the fly does not act like it is attached to anything. I fish for trout with the occasional bass trip thrown in. As far as other species, I would not be speaking from experience. Sorry for the long post.

+ Reply to Thread