+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you sharpen you hook or discard?

Default Do you sharpen you hook or discard?

I was going through my box of goodies yesterday and I came upon a hook sharpening file a bought a few years back. It has never been used. Got to wondering how many of you sharpen hooks versus disgarding them when they become dull?
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Tyrone fly;
    I'd rather sharpen than discard!

Blog Entries

I sharpen all hooks when I tie them. I have resharpend larger size hooks ie 12 and 14 the size 20+ hooks are a little hard to hold and I havent sharpened them in the field.
    Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Sharpen...but find it less necessary as I've gone to quality hooks.

Oh and by keeping my back cast upeth

I sharpen hooks prior to tying on them. In the smaller sizes, I find that I do not need to do it as often, partially because I buy better quality than I used to. I also carry a file with me while fishing and I will touch up the point after using a fly for a while or if I've snagged it a couple of times.

Jim Smith

I also sharpen my hooks rather than discarding them. Heck at $4.25 for 25 hooks I can't afford to chuck my hooks when a small file cost $0.50.
    Hobo

Blog Entries

I carry a sharpening file with me all the time while fishing and every time I see it sitting there I think , gosh I should use that, it doesn't happen though lol.

I have a stone sharpener I use all the time at the flytying station. When I tie I sharpen the bigger hooks from say #16 on up. I never worry about the smaller ones cause they are on very light tippet and don't last long with my downeth backcasts.

I just ordered about 1500 mustad hooks in various sizes . What brand hooks do you guys mean when you say "better quality" hooks?
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Better hook brands, mustad signature series, and diachii. Personlly to cheap to buy them i use mustad and i still seem to catch fish.

GBF...
    In reply...I started many years ago and hooks have improved over time so the flies date back...I notice a difference in the old ones especially...now adays I think most of the "name brands" are fine....

Having said that...I maintain two locations for fly tying and deciding not to carry stuff back and forth...I got a new supply of hooks...being low volume and not wanting to compromise I decided on mainly doing Mustad Signatures....so far haven't regretted it.

Seems to me that if a company like Mustad that enjoys the rep. and has been around as long as they have... comes out with a premium line it's probably real and not hype....just a matter of personal choice.

Incidently...I think Cabela's brand is made by diachii...at least I'm sure they used to be...some on this site have said they may not be quite the same quality.

+ Reply to Thread