+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transplanting Insects ?

Default Transplanting Insects ?

Something to note... The Freshwater Fishing Regulations for the State of New York state the following:
    No aquatic insect(or insect that lives in the water during any of its life stages) shall be taken from waters inhabited by trout, or from the banks of those waters at any time.
    It would also seem that this regulation implies that you are breaking the law if you captured one to take home to your tying bench.

Several months ago there was some discussion pertaining to that subject on one of the posts. If my memory serves me correctly, you are correct in your presumption. I am not from New York so I can't speak with certainty, however I know someone with the correct knowledge will let us know the answer.
    Steve

There is a good reason not to transplant anything from one river to another, you do not know what else is in the water, you could very easily be transporting Didymo or any other pest between waterways.
    In the last year or two Didymo has destroyed or at the least badly affected 22 rivers in the South Island of New Zealand and it is only a matter of time before it spreads to the North Island. It can be spread in a single drop of water and while most anglers are aware of the danger and will clean there gear between trips most trampers will not and they may well cross more than one river in a single days tramping.
    All the best.
    Mike.

Blog Entries

Anyone who transplants anything from one location to another is running a huge risk. Ever hear of the Law of Unintended Consequences? If not, look it up.

Yes, it has been done successfully in some places. And it has wreaked havoc in others. Think European starlings... Kudzu... whirling disease... mud snails... "Bucket biologists" are the bane of most fish and game department's managment.

PLEASE consult a professional biologist and your state's regulatory agencies before doing something like this.

Dennis

Given a body of water...will it eventually have the ecosystem that it can support..[however that happens]...or could an introduction by man optimize the system?

Ducksterman,

It will eventually have the ecosystem it can support, but once people start interfering it can greatly affect the outcome. For instance, take a river with prolific stone, caddis, and mayfly hatches, and a nice healthy population of cutthroat, sculpin, and lamprey (species chosen for fellow Oregonian). Add something like modsnails and hatches decrease and the effects cascade up and down the foodchain. Another thing that could happen is that the insect that we introduce is a temporary host for some parasite that will infect the fish (whirling disease works this way).

Probably more than you wanted to know...

Adam

That's right, it is illegal to collect macroinvertebrates without a permit in NY.

That reminds me, I need to renew mine! I did a small research project on the benthic organizms of ponds fand I will be working with students on a macroinvertebrate project next fall.

Last I knew the "liscense to collect" permit was still $10 and a bunch of paperwork.

Ed
    " Fishermen, hunters, wood choppers, and others,
    spending their lives in the fields and woods,
    in a peculiar sense a part of Nature themselves,
    are often in a more favorable mood for observing her,
    in the intervals of their pursuits,
    than philosophers or poets even,
    who approach her with expectation."

Henry David Thoreau

"No aquatic insect(or insect that lives in the water during any of its life stages) shall be taken from waters inhabited by trout, or from the banks of those waters at any time."

Wow, that seems a bit excessive. I've got several friends who collect insects in specimen bottles (filled with alcohol) to take home in order to tie better fly imitations. (Note: none of them live in NY)

It is being tried in Utah. Pteronarcys californica (stoneflies)nymphs are being transported from one river where they still occur to a river a few mountain passes over where they historically were found but not found presently. I'm pretty sure this was done with permission from the biologists in the area.

I can't add anything entomological about this but my gut feeling is DON'T. Man has such a good record of messing things up when we try and improve on nature.

Enjoy what you have as you have it. If that is not good enough, look somewhere else.

jed

+ Reply to Thread