+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How fancy?

Default How fancy?

Question for the rod building addicts like myself-- especially those with a limited rod-build budget:

Do you use premium blanks, deck your rods out with nickel silver, stabilized inserts, flor cork, etc., or do you go for volume? I mean, an arsenal of Forecasts and Rainshadows is not a bad thing.

Hi. My name is Joe, and I'm a rod building addict. Is there a 12-step program for us?

I plan to go for volume to achieve maximum flexibility. I want one of every size, and maybe a travel version of each as well. With Forecast and Rainshadow I believe this can be accomplished at minimal expense. If I were a wealthy man, I may choose the more expensive route, but since I'm of modest finances, and since the fish don't care either, I'll stay this course for now. Besides, if I break a less expensive model I won't feel as bad.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

I build for a living. I have built on Rainshadow, G Loomis, St Croix, Lamiglas, Sage and several other brands. IMO, the best all-around blanks for the money are St Croix III - in all arenas. Best of all, they are made in the USA.

Blog Entries

I usually build Forecast for starting flyfishermen because they are a great value. For myself, I fish Forecast in the blanks I don't use often, and got special blanks for my "every day" rods. I built a Dan Craft Sig V for my 4 weight, and an RX8 Batson 2 weight. They are both completely awesome rods, and I wouldn't trade or sell either for anything. I currently have a 6 weight built from an Amtak blank that it a good rod, but am saving pennies to switch it to something special down the line. Most likely a Dan Craft FT or maybe a Batson RX7 or RX8.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Little Rock AR, wishing I was still in Anchorage, AK

I started rod building after I already had acouple rods So with rod building I like the more expensive blanks because Im in the process of upgrading, but I have built acouple bastons.
    I use the best cork I can find, I think their is nothing uglier then crapy cork

I'll pipe in, after all I did start the post.

I don't build for myself very often, so when I do I pull the stops (I also keep rods a long time). For starters I always save up to get the blank I really want, not just one I think I'd be happy with. Also it doesn't bother me to spend some extra dough to dress up a rod. In a few years I'll never miss that extra $25 I spent on a seat or the $30 I spent on an agate stripper. Plus the best part-- as much as I can possibly spend on compontents, I still end up spending less than a premium factory rod.

But of course the downside-- this spring when I'm standing in small creek runnoff water I'll sure be wishing I had a 7'6 5wt to depth-charge bh-stonefly nymphs. Maybe next year.

My current build: 8'0 3wt CTS Maxim, all blued NS hardware from goldenwitch, agate, gossamer, cg2 flor rings. mmmm, she'll be a beauty.

Well,
    I don't really build for a living, if I did, I wouldn't be more than slightly overweight!! I do build a lot of fly rods, mostly for friends and acquaintances, and I build everything from the lowest end stuff to the highest end stuff, and furniture to match their requests. I guess what amazes me is that there are some folks out there that when they tell me what they want in a fly rod, and how they want it to look, then tell me well I would prefer an Orvis, because I don't want anyone to see me fishing a no-name rod!!
    I think JC hit it right on the head in one of his comments..."there are no bad fly rods"...I would have to agree with that. and if the hardware makes them work any better then so be it, but I doubt it doing that unless you get into some of the stuff that Tampa Jim builds for the ocean....

When I decide I "need' a new rod it's to fish with. Rarely does anyone see it but me.
    I find I like the light weight graphite spinning rod reel seats, I use plain old snake guides, and a grip with some "texture" to it is easier to hold on to. I like plain wraps, no hook keeper. I don't even write on the blank.
    Everything is very plain, simple, and clean.
    I do like a half decent blank though. The Pac Bay Rainforest is a favorite
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

+ Reply to Thread