+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best place or method to buy a large range of hooks

Default Best place or method to buy a large range of hooks

Ok, I am ready to acquire a broad range of hooks for tying (until know I was learning the ropes etc) but I am ready to start really tying and all I have is streamer hooks, some nymph hooks and size 14 2xl dry fly hooks (dont ask) I basically need a large range of dry fly hooks in different sizes and styles.
    Whats the best way to get all of that in one shot?

Personally I find this difficult to answer.
    I decide what fly I want to tie, and buy the necessary hooks.

Make a list of flies you fancy, and add to the list the necessary hook size and type for the fly.
    Don't get too ambitious, a Scotsmans advice, it could get a wee bit expensive.
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

rawfish,

I would say the best way would be to come up with a list of what you want and then start shopping around or even email the list to a few shops and see what the total price would be and then make up your mind.

Normand Guest

Hook and Hackle is a good place to buy Mustad hooks and usually at a discount.

What kind of hooks you'll need is really up to you as to what you want to tie.

Rawfish,

Find a suplier of Mustad hooks. Decide which particular hook you want to fish with.

A good start for most patterns would be:

94840 'standard' for dry flies (around $8.50/100).

3399 for wets/nymphs down to size 14 (around $4.60/100). For smaller nymphs/wets, the 3906 'standard' hook (around $8.50/100) (you can tie nymphs/wets on the 94840s, so you don't 'need' a nymph hook)

3191 Carlisle for streamers (around $3.75/100).

Or, if you prefer a shorter shank streamer hook:

The 3261 Aberdeen (around $3.75/100. I really like these for buggers and larger topwater stuff like hoppers and small poppers for bass/bluegills).

Eagle Claw makes versions of some of these hooks, their L060 wet/dry hook is a great all around hook for someplace in the neighborhood of $7.50/100.

You can 'bend' the dry fly and wet fly hooks easily into scud hooks, and the aberdeens into that curved nymph/hopper shank like the Tiemco 2312 or the Mustad 'signature' C53S.

Once you find a good 'source' for the hooks you want (lots of places out there, check the web or discuss it with your local fly shop-they will often order bulk hooks for you at a good price) you then need to decide the 'range' of sizes you want.

For most trout fishing, 10 to 22 in the dry fly hooks, 10 to 18 in the wets, and 4 to 10 in the streamer hooks. Bass or other applications might change how you 'range' the hook sizes and may add some other styles.

Order at least 100 of each size/style in the range you choose. If you 'know' that you will tie more in certain sizes (generally 12 to 18 for most of us), get more of those.

Once you have this 'base supply' you can just look at a patten, pick the hook that is close enough, and tie it without having to go to the store or wait for a catalog order.

What I can't get from my fly shop, I get from Jann's Netcraft, Cabela's, or from folks here at FAOL. I've seen some good hook deals on Ebay.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Default Re: Best place or method to buy a large range of hooks

Quote Originally Posted by rawfish
    Ok, I am ready to acquire a broad range of hooks for tying (until know I was learning the ropes etc) but I am ready to start really tying and all I have is streamer hooks, some nymph hooks and size 14 2xl dry fly hooks (dont ask) I basically need a large range of dry fly hooks in different sizes and styles.
    Whats the best way to get all of that in one shot?
    I went back and reread your post...you say "large range" and didn't really say whether or not you are going to do a large volume....if not ..though 100's cost less per hook... you may want to consider a lesser number.

I have seen Daiichi assortment packs at some online retailers. I think you get 10 each of the same style hook in 4 sizes. Comes in a little reusable box. I have limited experience with the brand, but the ones I have tried seem ok.

rawfish, I,like Donald,also had to read this question a few times to get where I think your going with this. I'm assuming that you are looking for a variety of say Mustad 94840 sizes 22 to 10 about 25 to a pack.
    What struck me as I read the question over was where are you going to get and store all of the materials. That's when I thought that you meant variety not quantity. I have never seen a manufacturer that puts together a hook kit. Great idea though.
    I sure hope that you aren't thinking of "going pro" now that you have "learned the ropes". If so I would recommend that you talk with some of the retired pro tyers that hangout here, there is a huge difference between tying 10 flys or tying 1000 flys or tying 10,000 flys and some of them would be happy to tell you about it. Send me an email when your ready to start selling off your supplies for 50% to 60% discount.
    Good luck with this!!!

I think Cabela's offers an assortment of their house brand hooks. The catalog isn't handy right now but check their web site.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

The cheapest place that I've found to buy hooks is Anglers Workshop. I bought a quantity ($100+) from js stockard because I had a coupon that evened out the difference and they are a regional supplier.

That being said, Anglers workshop has the best prices on hooks that I've found. Their shipping rates are higher than I like but they do have the best selection of hooks that I have found.

+ Reply to Thread