+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wouldn't ya know it!

Default Wouldn't ya know it!

Our major rivers open for fishing in the early morning and, according to the local weatherman, we're expecting heavy rain, thunder and lightning. I don't mind the rain and thunder, but the lightning will keep me off the river.

Ron Eagle Elk

Blog Entries

Hey, I thought you had some influence over the folks controlling the weather. Down here I can guarantee rain by going camping, but I haven't figured out how to make it go away. I will let you know if I find a way.

Dennis

Hey Ron,

I feel your pain buddy. My boat engine
    was down for three weeks of the finest
    fishing weather ya'd ever want to see. I got it fixed a week ago, just as these windy
    monsoons and thunder boomers moved in. Not
    a moments let up in the weather since.
    Aaaarrrrrgggghhhhhh!! I'm gonna bust a
    gasket for sure. This past Sunday in the
    early a.m., there appeared to be a window
    of opportunity. The clock was set, I was
    up before the clock went off. Trailer
    hooked to the truck and ready to go. My
    buddy pulls us just as the NOA weather
    warning goes off on my radio. Tornado's
    were spotted in the area. The rains and the
    hail came and we spent the day dodging
    twisters.*G* It's all a big conspirancy
    for sure. The weather guessers are out to
    get us. Just tain't fair. Scuse me, I feel
    a weather rant coming on. Warm regards, Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim Hatch (edited 01 June 2005).]

I've heard that thunder and lightning scare the mushrooms up out of the ground.

Our 2-3 weeks of rain just let up and I've found more morels than in the past two years.

We haven't had to mow much, so without yard work, there has been more time to fish in the drizzle.

Still, I think I know how you feel. Many times this spring, weather conducive to fishing has only appeared on days when I've been working or when the streams were blown out. You and Vicky hang in there.

Well,

At least you have rain with that

We had close to 6,000 lightning strikes in Quebec and northern Ontario over night. More to come this evening.

My region has 87 active forest fires (all small) of which 2 are still out of control

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:a37fd]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/[/url:a37fd]
    Christopher Chin

Ron, the NF Stilly was in fine shape this morning. A little rain but only enough to put a little color in the water. No fish but what the heck casting needed some work after a month off. I think I will head back up now that work is done for the day.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Well, the rain, thinder and lightning held off for the start of river trout season. VEE and I hit the Nisqually about 7:00 AM under a slight overcast sky. The Kingfishers and Herons were already working the shallows when we arrived at our favorite gravel bar on the river. The water was fairly clear, even after the deluge of rain and hail yesterday. Visibility was about 6 feet. Since I don't wade that deep we were good to go.

We both wanted to do a little practice casting with the trout spey rods ( 12 foot six inch 6 wgts) so we taped the ferrules, lined up and started working the water. Where we were the river is about 150 feet wide and has a long pool with a depth range of 6 to 10 feet. We started with orange stimulators trying to entice a strike, no luck. Added a dropper under the stimulator, still no luck. Spent a couple hours swing the long rods, until the sun broke through the cloud cover and hit the water. After that even the Kingfishers and Herons gave up.

Got in some great casting practice. VEE has almost perfected the Circle spey cast, along with the single and double spey casts, and I have been doing some serious work on a wombat cast (yes, that's really the name of the cast). All in all a great morning, now the thunder heads are starting to build and the sky is getting a lovely dark shade of grey (sort of an Adams Grey) and the wind is picking up force. Looks like I'd better get back to work on her kitchen, since there is an 8 foot by ten foot hole in the floor and most of the cabinets have been ripped out.

Ya gotta love a woman who, when faced with getting her kitchen fixed or going fly fishing, opts for fly fishing.

Hope ya'll had as good a day as we did.

REE

Ron,
    Clear skys here today.. I'm off to go fish some skinny water this evening!
    Z

Blog Entries

How does one cast a wombat, exactly?

First ya gotta catch the critter and tie him on a really big hook.

It's a modified single spey cast, actually done twice. Very useful when casting sink tips or really heavy flies (which I am prone to do with the spey rod). Just make a single spey cast, this usually results in the line winding up in a puddle about 20 feet infront of you, that's what it's supposed to do. Then do another single spey. This straightens the line/leader out nicely so your cast takes off like a rocket. It's also good for recovery from a bad cast (which I am also prone to do).

REE

+ Reply to Thread