+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Broken Bow (OK) inputs requested...

Default Broken Bow (OK) inputs requested...

Hey gang... I'm in the process of planning out a 3-day, 2-night retreat for some of the guys in our church group.

In looking at the maps I see where there are three zones mapped out for the Lower Mountain Fork river. I've canoed (or should I say unintentionally swam with a boat in tow!!) down parts of the river there but have never fished in that area and I have some questions that I was hoping y'all could help me with.
    • Are there any sections of the river where the touristy canoeists and kayakers are not allowed?
    • What flies (patterns, sizes, etc.) are most recommended?
    • Are there other activities such as horseback riding or hiking? Because some guys may not want to fish (the horror!!!).
    • Are there any rental shops in the ares that some of the guys can rent equipment from? Some guys have never flyfished before and to break them I'm going to get them hooked up on "modified" fly rigs.... (e.g. ultralights with flys...).

Well... those are my questions for now.

Thanks for your time & inputs!!
    Alan
    ... they call me AW!
    AW's Outdoors - hunting, fishing & other outdoorsy stuff!

Alan,

I have never fished the LMF but a bunch of the guys on the Blue River yahoo group do regularly. You can go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/blueriverflyfishers/ and post a question and you'll get some good advice.

Dan

Alan:
    The Beavers Bend Flyshop is on the LMF in the park. the owners name is Sid. The link to his site is

http://www.beaversbendflyshop.com/
    I'm sure that if you E-mail Sid that he will be able to answer any question you may have. The gang in the chat room on Sid's site are also more than willing to help. I do know that they are flowing a lot of water right now but you should still be able to fish Zone 1 between the Dam and the generation station. Good luck & have fun.
    Larry

any

particular

reason

you

want

to

stand out so much????

that

would

be

the

LIST

feature

standing out
    ... they call me AW!

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkflyflinger57
    Alan,

I have never fished the LMF but a bunch of the guys on the Blue River yahoo group do regularly. You can go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/blueriverflyfishers/ and post a question and you'll get some good advice.

Dan
    Thanks Dan!!! Just went there and got signed up!
    ... they call me AW!

Quote Originally Posted by okieflyfisheman
    Alan:
    The Beavers Bend Flyshop is on the LMF in the park. the owners name is Sid. The link to his site is

http://www.beaversbendflyshop.com/
    I'm sure that if you E-mail Sid that he will be able to answer any question you may have. The gang in the chat room on Sid's site are also more than willing to help. I do know that they are flowing a lot of water right now but you should still be able to fish Zone 1 between the Dam and the generation station. Good luck & have fun.
    Thanks so much Larry! I just hit the site and will get a message posted there as well. Fish on!!
    ... they call me AW!

Blog Entries

okieflyfisherman that avatar looks suspiciously like a certain Mr Castwell Except of course we all know He would have caught that fish. Or at least swatted that fly out of the air. Or both
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Another good place to check for information is the Three Rivers Fly Shop, which is located just outside the park. Jesse King runs it and can give you good information regarding which flies are working. He also rents equipment. His website is www.threeriversflyshop.com. Another good source of information is the Beavers Bend Resort Park site, www.beaversbend.com. Horseback riding is available. Most of the canoeing/kayaking takes place in Zone 1 or Zone 3. The area of Zone 1 where the canoeing takes place is not the best area for fishing anyway. Zone 3 can be very good fishing, but there shouldn't be much in the way of boating taking place during the colder months. Zone 2 is usually the best fishing, or Spillway Creek, and no canoes or kayaks are allowed in either of these areas to my knowledge.

Larry Compton

+ Reply to Thread