+ Reply to Thread

Thread: perch/bass early season???

Default perch/bass early season???

I am thinking about doing some perch fishing tomorow night and hopefully may hook a few smallmouth as well. i ussually fish this area later in the summer when the water is lower and the water temp is higher. sense this will be my first time going after panfish with flyrod, and early in the season i have a question or 2. the water level right now is at least 2 - 3 feet higher than ussuall. will the fish be feading when the water is high in the spring and the temperature is lower than when i normally fish them? basically what are there tendencies in this situation and what should i expect and try. thanks any info will be a help.

nate

Perch are sight feeders normally feeding close to the bottom of a lake or to the streambed , generally within inches of the bottom. If the water is high and rilly, and stained, you will generally find them closer to the shoreline, or behind current obstacles. The colder the water , the slower their metabolism and therefore their feeding needs are lessened, and the less they will move to the fly . Also, the colder water and more stained the water , the more difficult it will be for the perch to see the fly- so forget surface poppers till the water warms. Chances are that you may have to present it right on their nose (ie. weighted nymphs, and weighted streamers - such as flashback nymphs, pheasant tails, and conehead muddlers , weighted sculpins, and minnow immitations - rarely larger than size#8 hook).
    This last weekend I was catching perch and rock bass in the daytime mostly on minnow immitations in clear lake waters on a: beadheaded , #10 hook, crystal chenille body, with white marabou tail with fine silver mylar "Wing-n-Flash. Give it a go !

Dadflyer

Dadflyer is right about the metabolism...in cold water, you want a slow retrieve..in warm, a faster retrieve. I like to use lightly weighted stuff in cold water=a slower drop.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

+ Reply to Thread