+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Value of Bamboo

Default Value of Bamboo

A few weeks ago, and older gentlement gave me a beautiful old Hardys bamboo fly rod. In fact, he set out a few rods before me, and told me to take my pick.

He'd like to sell the others, but has no idea as to their value.

One, I suspect, has little value as it has no markings and has had some "modern" repairs made.

The other, I think, will have value. It's a Heddon bamboo rod and is marked as follows:

Heddon #20 - 8 1/2' - 2F - HDH or E

The HDH or E is in script, but I think I've interpreted it correctly.

Any ideas as to its value would be appreciated. I'm tempted to but it myself, but would like to give him what its worth.

Thanks,
    Andrew

It's worthless, send it to me and I will dispose of it for you.

Of course I am kidding Andy. It all depends on the condition of the rod. On Fishnbanjo's website he has that rod (in excellent to mint condition) valued at $325. Poorer condition takes the value down.

If it is in good shape and you have the cash, buy it, I'm sure you would like it or be able to sell it in the future if you do not. If it is in poorer condition, see what he will take for it and refinish it yourself. Not terribly difficult.

Andrew,
    Don't considered that unmarked rod as valuless. I bought an 8' 3 piece unmarked rod for just under 300.00 it had a loose ferrule and was missing a few guides. It wound up I got a Edwards Special thats been appraised at over 1200.00.Your friend should have it appraised .
    The Hdh or E marking on the Heddon is the old classification for line weights when they were set by diameter rather than weight. I don't have a conversion table on hand but I think its a 6/7 wt line. If its a one tip rod which mine is I paid 285.00 2 years ago fully restored if 2 tips figure 100.00 more.Value depends on condition. The 2F on the rod is Heddons designation for ferrule size. 2f is a heavy trout/bass action rod. The name of the #20 model is The Bill Stanley Favorite.I find my #20 tip heavy you may want a heavier reel to balance it out.
    Hope that helps.

Tom

Default rod value

Andrew, I will echo what Tom said. I bought an old wall hanger Boo from an older Gentleman for 20.00. Stripped and refinished it. Dont know its pedigree, but it is a sweet casting 6wt. If you can get any Boo for a reasonable price, IMHO they are worth a try. They may just surprise you

+ Reply to Thread