+ Reply to Thread

Thread: a few questions about learning how to restore bamboo rods

Default a few questions about learning how to restore bamboo rods

I have been thinking about learning how to restore bamboo rods and had a few questions:
    1. Are you supposed to learn how to build graphite rods first...I am not so interested in doing that, but if it would achieve my goal I guess I could start there.
    2. Where do i start in terms of amassing information and learning how to do it, books, websites etc...what do i need to know first?
    3. How much space does this hobby take up? Do I need some type of permanent workshop, or a clear table for a few hours is sufficient....does it make a humungous mess?
    Thanks as always.

Hey Rawfish
    To your questions.
    1. I would say no. I didn't, and still don't, have any graphite experience. The experience you would gain from graphite could just as easily be gained re-furbishing bamboo rods. I think a lot of it is just practice, and some things (like wrapping) you can practice without a rod.
    2. I got a lot of information by asking questions here, and by using the search function on this BB. A lot of what I needed to know was already discussed. There is another website, http://www.bamboorodmaking.com/, whose tips section is useful. Another good resource is the classic rod forum. There is a restoration book out there that is supposed to be re-released soon. Its by Michael Sinclair and is called the Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook. I'm sure its has some great information, but can't say first hand.
    3. I think you could make due with a clear table and somewhere to store everything. I live in an apt and work out of my kitchen/dining room table, and use this guy to store it all and do my wraps. It would be nice to have more space...nice, but not necessary.

here's a link to sinclairs book. kinda pricey @ $75, but considerably less than it was when outta print and invaluable as far as the information contained within. covers everything you'll need to know. well, almost.

http://bamboorodrestorationhandbook.com/

+ Reply to Thread