+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: my banty rod

Default my banty rod

OK I tried to get the ferrule off the old butt section to put onto a dowel, but couldn't get it, so am going to buy a new one - but don't know what size - the 1/4 inch dowel is 6.5 mm, but the 19/64 i.d. of the end of the present female is 7.5 - do I get the larger size and build up the 1/4" dowel? Or the smaller and will it fit the old male then?

If I understand what you are doing correctly, you are taking the ferrule from a butt section to mount onto a dowel to make a grip from for a banty rod. Is that correct? If it is, you will be much better off to get a larger od dowel to mount it to. When you try to build up the 1/4" dowel, I am not certain that it would have the structural integrity to handle casting.

Secondly, the old ferrule is probably pinned on. Look carefully at the ferrule and you may find a 1/16" steel pin that has been inserted through the side of the ferrule to help keep it on the fly rod. Sometimes it requires taking a piece of steel wool or very very fine sandpaper to find the pin. It should come right off there if the pin is removed and direct heat is applied to the ferrule. What kind of rod is it?

Default Ferruel pins

Sometimes you can make the pin visible by polishing the ferrule w/ 0000 steel wool and then rubbing something like India ink or soot from an oil lamp into the ferrule. Sometimes even when this works you have to hold it to the light just right.
    AgMD

Thats for sure, and sometimes, you even have to look in very inconspicuous places. I have found them on the slides of some male ferrules...

herefishy, wouldn't a 3/8ths dowel work?

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

May be the 3/8ths would work, but I'm leaning toward just sawing off the butt section, with the very well stuck female ferrule, and putting the new handle on that. Does that sound plausible? I didn't really want to tear up the butt, but I know I'll never use it like it is, so might as well make the project as easy as possible - right?

It would likely work just fine herefishy...I just hope that down the road you don't look back and and say to yourself, 'gee, had I not cut up the butt section, I could have had two cane flyrods'. For me at least, I would want to have the original cane rod intact plus the banty with separate handle.

What about finding a piece of scrap cane rod from one of the many here that build/restore them to build your female ferruled handle on?

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMoose
    It would likely work just fine herefishy...I just hope that down the road you don't look back and and say to yourself, 'gee, had I not cut up the butt section, I could have had two cane flyrods'. For me at least, I would want to have the original cane rod intact plus the banty with separate handle.
    I'll second that. It would be a shame to hack up the old butt section as you plan when a wooden dowel would do. BTW since the grip will hide the material, a section of an inexpensive old hollow graphite or fiberglass rod will do in place of the dowel. As for finding a female ferrule that fits on the male ferrule you have to match, there are lots of sources. Do some measuring. Here's an inexpensive source where you could buy several to see which one fits. http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/center-fer ... 73320.aspx I am sure someone will chime in on other solurces for ferrules.
    Bear742

Bear, that's a great idea...and when you mentioned 'old hollow graphite or fiberglass' I got a brain uhh...shiver...

herefishy, what do you think of this idea? Go to junk stores/flea markets/yard sales etc with that which will become the butt section of your proposed banty and look at the zillions of old rods you'll find and try (carefully)plugging the section of your cane rod into the butt of the junker rod till you find just the right fit? Voila ! Instant banty rod handle stock ! I think I'm onto something here...I mean why go to all the trouble not to mention the expense when all one would have to do is 'recycle' a junker rod? Could be any kind of rod too..spin, casting, etc. (Not fly though, those would have much more value on their own as a starting point for a beginner/kid) Ok, hopping off the box now.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Great ideas, thanks - will look for junk rods.

+ Reply to Thread