+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lighter Side...

Default Lighter Side...

I must say I really enjoyed the artical, I think some how we can all relate to it. I smiled threw the whole thing, and laughed every now and then. I hope the lunch the next day went well...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Thanks Grubb, glad you enjoyed it! The drippins' and leftovers went to making turducken gumbo the next day. Ralph didn't show, so his date must've gone OK!
    <grin>
    DANBOB

Default Danbob's "Blizzard of '06" story

in from Grn Mt Man

What a great way to start off my week. Haven't stopped laughing yet. Danbob - I see now what those six foot Colorado snow falls produce besides tied flies! My dad had a friend that was cut from the same mold as "Ralph" by the name of Henry. He lived in a small cabin on his own land with a little trout stream a short walk away. Heated with a wood stove and the rug under his rocker concealed a basement walkway entrance that held two large freezers that were always populated with the latest and best tasting fish, fowl and game around. Used an old octagon barreled .38-55 to stock his larder. keep submitting those tales.

P.S. Liked the website and the tying desks.

Right good rib tickling yarn you wove there Danbob, made my face light up with a big grin. When I was a young boy many years ago we (my family and I) lived in the mountains on a road named Ridge Road. A old man of at least 80 or more live down hill from us in a two room shack of his making. He was a ornery old cuss and for some reason took a liking to me as a boy of 11 years old ( I was the only boy for about 2 miles around). One early spring there was a backup of snow higher up the mountain with water behind it that broke loose and came roaring down ripping out our driveway then turning down hill right toward this old man's home. Being worried and full of adventure I followed the path of this flash flood to the old man's shack. Sitting in the front yard was most of his belongings with him seated on a old chair. I asked how he faired the flash flood and he told me he just had time to open the front door and rush to the rear to open the door for the water to pass through his home. So here he sat now letting his belonging dry out a bit before returning them to his home. This old man sure shared a lot of wood wisdom and tall tails with a young lonely boy who was all ears.

ya, funny thing,,, those guys who have lots of money,,, they think 'they' are rich.

Thanks for the kind words, folks.

I have *pages* of notes from the 14 years the real Ralph was my next door neighbor. Some are so crazy I've never written about them for fear that no one will believe any of it...he'll live on for eternity with all these stories, as he deserves. That old man lived well up here, on nothing...his income was zero, plus the stuff folks gave or bartered to him in exchange for project assistance, gadgets and wisdom. And unsticking trucks and sleds from the snow, getting the @#$&#$ sawmill engine to start, etc. He also built guitars, but very few. He tutored me on building the banjo I still play today. Mrs. McGreavy is actually based on two spinster sisters who moved here in 1911 in a covered wagon; the last sister died about 5 years back. RIP.

We all used to laugh up here about how much Ralph in real life resembled Pat McManus' famous character Rancid Crabtree. Before sending any article in to FAOL, I always delve thru Pat's collected articles to make sure I'm not stealing any of his jokes! And I'm sure I'm already guilty of it....

Pat's book about how and why he writes ('Deer on a Bicycle') should be required reading for anyone that wants to write humor...I've been a technical writer for almost 20 years, and JC and Ladyfisher first published my fiction here on FAOL. Thanks JC, Ladyfisher, and PAT! I'll do my best to keep it up.

DANBOB

Great story. I know to well the Dod pickup, my brother had a 59 International pickup 4x4, what a beast. He also had several Dod pickups. Oh and Colorado blizzards. Reminds me of way to many things

Bill

Blog Entries

Great story Danbob I think Ralph may be kin. lol

Same as Grn Mtn Man I shot a 38-55 as a kid , heavy octagon barrel was all I could do to lug it up and down the hills. I have met some of these grizzled old guys living in the Hills and off the land. Perhaps a dying breed but I sure hope not.

You weave a good tale my friend.

Ps. LOL so thats what you meant about the Yellow Sallies. You do know don't you that they are supposed to be fish food not mouse food. Perhaps you mislabled them , mice can read you know.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

What a awesome story! You have a excellent talent there danbob. It had me laughing all the way through it. I wouldn't worry about stepping on pat's toes. The story reminded me of my childhood. My dad (may he rest in peace) was a lot like ralph. We lived on the canadian border in a little town called curlew washington. lived up rattlesnake creek road at the end of the road. Dad drank his ss check away and we lived on what we could raise and shoot. Dad was a good cook though.Thank you so much for the good memories and the great laugh I enjoyed it

+ Reply to Thread