+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Arkansas trout rivers?

Default Any Arkansas trout rivers?

Is there anywhere in Northern Arkansas that is not blowing water all day long?
    Trying to plan a trip for this weekend and finding out all the rivers have been running all generators for several weeks.Really wanted to fish the Norfork but looks like were going to have to wait till March. Any suggestions out there?
    Willing to travel about 7 to 8 hours from Northern Alabama/ Middle TN. Looking for areas that would be easy for my Mom to access. I love the Smokies and North GA but Mom's hip does not allow for wading some of the 45 degrees rocks and small boulders. Thus the desire to fish the White and Norfork due to the nice gravel shoals and access. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Default high water

The White and Northfork rivers will probably be running high for some time but can be fished quite successfully from a boat under these conditions. If you don't mind paying a guide or renting a jon boat you will find some good fishing. Here closer to my home the White river below Beaver dam has been running its generators in the afternoons only, alllowing good wade fishing in the mornings. Or for good bank fishing you could try the Roaring river just across the border from Arkansas in southern Missouri. This is a small spring fed river full of trout including many large ones. It is fished heavily but if you approach it right you can catch lots of fish there.

Default Thanks JSMARTT!

Thanks for the info. Have done really well in the past on midges this time of year. Have only floated from Just above Rim Shoals to Ranchett access on the white. Floated the Norfork several times in a pontoon. But am afraid at 2 generators the fishing will be minimal while trying to steer the boat. Mom and Dad took a guide out several years ago and did well. But I think they were only running 4 on the White and 1 on the Norfork at the time. Have always heard about the shad kill and casting big shad patterns but not sure that is something Mom could handle right now.

Thanks will definitely do some more research.

Default Arkansas Trout Streams

Your best bet at present would be Spring River. It starts at Mammoth Spring State Park in north Arkansas, almost at the Missouri state line, and has fishable trout water for about 10 miles downstream. To the best of my knowledge, there are 5 public accesses, Mammoth Spring Park, Lasseter Access, Cold Spring Access, Dam #3 Access at the hatchery, and Bayou Access which is a bit hard to find and off the beaten path. If your mom has problems wading, Dam 3 and Lasseter would probably be your best choices. You can email me for more info if you like.

Im with jsmartt...

if you want some good fishing Roaring river is the place...

Its all C&R now.. but they are starting to stock it for the March 1.. lots of fish..lots of big fish...

hour to fish right now are from 8am-4pm Thus-Mon...

Taneycomo (in SWMO) has been blowing 4 generator all day here to...But shuting them down to 2 at night...
    There has been some really good night fishing lately... If you can bare the cold..
    it going to be 15degrees tonight..
    I'll be on the water by 8pm

Leonard

Spring River in AR, but wading it is tougher than White/Norfork even at Lassiter and Dam #3 accesses.

Look a bit further North into MO. Roaring River is a "trout park" environment, which would probably be good for someone who cannot wade. It has flagstone and concrete sidewalks down the banks. But you could stay in Branson, which old folks like too. Lots of stuff to do.

The Current River below Montauk State Park at Salem, MO, is an excellent river with wild trout, stocked fish, and good wading access in several places. Up in the park, fishing access is easier. It's another trout park. C&R only Fri-Mon until 3/1/07 inside the park.

Gday,Beaver Tailwater or Roaring River, are 30 mins apart. BUT RR is only open Fri-Mon If they run water on us here at Beaver I often take clients across the Border.

Currently it looks like Bull Shoals Dam will be blowing for some time, same with Table Rock and Norfolk, clearing out "flood water"

We remain high here at Beaver. They are waiting for room to drop our flood waters. It appears they aren't going to start round the clock generation at least for the next few days.
    Last week you could fish from 10ish to 4ish most days (apart from Friday and Sunday). Today it shut down around midday.

It is a gamble anywhere you go in the system at this time of year.

I wil say here you wading is very easy, mostly gravel shoals, slow slow current fish are hungry, and you have another fishery 30 mins away. If by chance they turn on here and slow Tanycomo that's only 1hr10 drive.

Cheers
    Steve

Before heading to Arkansas, ya'might want to check out John Wilson's Fly Fishing Arkansas and Missoui web site, http://p222.ezboard.com/bflyfishingarkansasandmissouri

This is the site for north arkansas fly fishing.
    Never trust quotes you find on the internet.
    Thomas Jefferson

Default Roaring River

Gotta Roll with Night Angler on Roaring River .
    It has very easy access for anyone that has trouble getting around. There are plenty of amenities around there.
    Avoid Tannycomo!
    I here that there is a very crazy guy hanging around there at night time trying to freeze himself into a large ice cube .

Default Re: Roaring River

Quote Originally Posted by perch
    Avoid Tannycomo!
    I here that there is a very crazy guy hanging around there at night time trying to freeze himself into a large ice cube .
    HAHA. Thanks for the laugh perch.

Waders,
    I agree with Roaring River. Cassville, Mo has plenty of decent hotels and its less than a half hour from Beaver tailwaters. You could fish Beaver when they are not generating and then head back to RR to finish the day off. RR is very very accessible as stated before.

+ Reply to Thread