+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Geeks please help

Default Geeks please help

I am using a cheap Dell lap top.
    I have been having problems not being able to type on the internet (word pad on the puter is fine).
    When I start or restart the puter it will type perhaps a sentence or so on a bb or email or chat room then it quits.
    This morning I unplugged the speakers I had plugged into the earphone jack and the printer and everything is working fine so far (as you can see by the length of this post).
    Is it possible those items being plugged in
    could cause the computer to not type on the internet?

Default Laptop Issue

Is it perhaps a cursor issue? Its possible you have unknowingly moved the cursor off the "text area" where your attempting to type. Often the cursors get "stuck" and move places you dont want them to, without even knowing it, and particularly on laptops since they dont use a traditional mouse. If you find yourself typing and nothing shows up, find your cursor and move it back to the text area and see if that rectifies it.

BTW-Im not a computer geek but I did stay at a Holday Inn Express last night.

Consider taking it to a place where they do have 'The Geek Squad.' Set it up on the counter there, on-line, hit the chat room, let them find the problem. I had to use them once, fine folks, fair pricing. A lot cheaper than psychoanalysis which is right around a corner as this thing will soon drive you moon-howlin' nuts!
    You will notice I did not mention that there might be a 'screw lose in the driver.' I didn't even think about it.

Hey JC
    Is Moon-howlin' nuts geek speak for rowing with one oar out of the water? That term made wy day! Thanks
    Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

I took it to a guy around the corner "Al's Computer Service" He said the puter was loaded up with spy and ad ware. He told the systems I use to get rid of it were worth what I pay for them which is nothing.
    He updated my puter, removed the spy ware and a couple of programs. Could not find any connection between printer and speaker hook up and not being able to type.

We'll see how it goes.....thanks all

Jerry

All that junk on the puter can cause myriad problems with PC's. I remember those days. I've been on a I-Mac G5 since 4-05, and no viruses, no spyware, no problems. I was so happy that I just bought a MacBook dual core, which is what I'm typing on right now. I run Windows programs in a virtual space, and never let it be exposed to the Internet. Sold my HP laptop to someone into dinasaurs. I doubt I'll ever look back.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

The rest of you may not know,,, but Jerry has been in the chat room every Saturday evening,,, and keeps getting disconnected. By now I would have smashed the labtop out of frustration. No idea how he kept so patiant.

Jerry, maybe you just need a new mouse????or uninstall the mouse drivers and do a clean install....and see what that does first....

Its back to Al's tomorrow....its doing the same thing.

Jerry,
    Your computer is not built for Florida weather.
    Get outta there!
    Head back home where the weather is the way its supposed to be in Jan.
    Tomorrows low will be -8 in the mourning(not a typo).
    My poor old Dad is down there too. Silly man thinks that 75 in the shade is what winter is supposed to be.

+ Reply to Thread