+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WHICH REEL WOULD YOU BUY and WHY?

Default WHICH REEL WOULD YOU BUY and WHY?

My fellow anglers, I know this is a bit unorthodox, but I must solicit your help!! I just purchased a nice 4wt rod. I now need backing, line, and reel. I am looking at purchasing one of these two offers. I submit before you the specifics that have been provided me. The question now is,

"WHICH REEL OFFER WOULD YOU TAKE and WHY?"
    ---------------------------------------------

FIRST OFFER:
    Scientific Anglers System 2 4/5 reel. As new used a few times, no scratches. Filled with backing and SA Mastery WF 4 weight line. $60 shipped.

SECOND OFFER:
    Lamson DCA-2. Flat black color, 3.00 inch diameter, 5.1 oz. In box with owner?s manual, neoprene bag and spare ?clutch part. Shows minor wear. $50
    ---------------------------------------------

I will tally your votes and purchase THAT reel.

THANKS!!

I would also go with the SA...fine reel & the line alone is worth the money!
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I've been using SA's products for a very long time. They have yet to let me down. I'de agree with JC, get the SA.

------------------
    Best to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
    Something I seldom remember to do.

[This message has been edited by countrygent36 (edited 28 May 2005).]

SA

Grand Poo-Bah,

I am going to use an STH POP 3 for my trip to Atlantic City to fish the salt. I will be fishing with FAOL angler, ?Philly?. My rod is a Bass Pro Hobbs Creek 8 wt. This is also my Alabama Bass rod. Only fishing salt 7 or 8 times a year, I think the POP will hold out. When I am in Puerto Rico and hopefully one day Andros, it should be okay because I have a TON of Gel-Spun backing on each cassette. I tried to sell the 8wt Bass Pro rod earlier on FAOL, but no one wanted it. I was humiliated!! Now I will just keep it. That?s me, always defying the odds!!

Depending on what the vote tally is between the SA and the Lamson, I will couple it with my new.....Quarrow 4wt. It came in this week. To me it is beautiful!!! I have been all over the net and this rod retailed for a WHOLE lot more than I paid ($66 vs. $300). I even corresponded with people who had actually paid $300 for it years ago and they still love it. I even called Quarrow?s new headquarters in Texas. They told me they would honor the lifetime warranty from the old Oklahoma office. If it breaks, the will repair or replace for $19.95. Just send it in.

One last thing, the gentleman with the SA reel has just come down to $45. I am SO excited!! I may finally have a respectable outfit!! I can now lift my head up when I log on to FAOL.

Your humble and fully submitted pupil,
    Allan

abel.

kidding.

sa

AC,

Although I've never owned one, I'd go with the SA (and I'm the one attempting to sell the DCA). It has a longer history and fairly good reputation.

Allan

Tyeflies,

You are as gracious a gentleman as D. Micus is a joker, and that is saying a lot!!

No really, D. Micus what do you think about me using the Hobbs Creek/STH POP3 in the salt at Atlantic City?

Allan

Tyeflies, you are a gentleman!

Acorbin, I'd go with the sth. i have a friend who is a serious saltwater fisherman and he's been using one for about 10 years without a complaint. I've often wondered why those cassette reels haven't caught on. a few bucks for a cassette as opposed to a few hundred for a spare spool...

Thanks D.!

As a MAJOR contributor to the written word regarding fly fishing, I greatly respect your opinion. Now I will see your degree of expertise regarding subs when I get to Atlantic City!!

AC

+ Reply to Thread