+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pontoon Boat Advice

Default Pontoon Boat Advice

Can anyone provide a quick primer on what to look for in a pontoon boat? I've been comparing Outcast, Creek Company and Water Skeeter so far. Any advice on pros and cons would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks in advance.

Also, has anyone heard of this shop? They seem to be offering good prices on Water Skeeter toons.
    [url=http://www.solitudesports.com:f8bd6]http://www.solitudesports.com[/url:f8bd6]

gearjunkie,

Never heard of solitudesports.com. Haven't done business with them.

I recently bought two pontoon boats, one for me and one for my wife. The things I looked for were warrenties, carrying capacity, ease of assembly, footrest, seat and oarlock adjustments and of course, price.

I opted for a Creek Company ODC 915 for the wife. It's pretty light for a 9 foot boat, owing to the aluminum frame, plenty of adjustment on the footrests, seat and oarlocks. The oarlocks are pretty beefy for a 'toon. About the same as I use on the drift boat. The key factor in this choice was getting a boat she could row comfortably. This is the boat that fit her best.

I went with an Outcast 9 footer. The pontoons aren't as big, but it floats me and my gear very well. The adjustments for the footrests and seat are good, but there are none for the oar locks. If my legs were just a little shorter I wouldn't be able to row this boat with my feet on the foot rests. I would be sitting too far forward to row comfortably.

Both boats have a minimum of extra stuff for line to get wrapped around. Inflating the Outcast is easier due to the location of the valves. The ODC has the valves under the gear bags so one side has to be loosened and tightened everytime you inflate the boat or let air out.

All in all, I'm pleased with both boats and figure I got my money's worth.

While your looking at boats, don't forget a comfortable, Coast Guard approved PFD. In this county at least, you can't be in a boat of any kind (including a 'toon) without one.

REE

I'm sold on my Skeeter. I've had it three years now and love it. Very comfy to fish out of, easy to assemble, light enough to carry a short distance, good adjustments, etc. etc.

------------------
    These are the idle thoughts that posses a man's mind when he's not able to fish.

[This message has been edited by Satchel (edited 26 May 2005).]

Here's some things to consider:

Enough weight capacity for you and your gear. If the weight capacity is much higher than you need, the pontoons will sit higher in the water and row better.

Longer pontoons will track and row better, shorter will maneuver better with fins.

Do you need it to fit in or on a certain vehicle? Some pontoons assemble and disassemble quickly and easily, others can be a pain and require tools.

Does it have storage pockets, D rings, and cargo deck sufficient for the equipment you want to take with you? How about a good spot to place rod holder(s) if you want to use them. Attach anchor lines if you want to use one?

Is the stripping apron adequate and of good design.

How heavy is it? Are you going to have to carry it a long distance to waters you will fish.

Is the seat design comfortable for you?

Warranty and reputation of the company.

------------------
    Joe

My Water Skeeter River Tamer II has a dual air bladder system. Each pontoon has two floatation chambers, if you develop a puncture in one chamber the other chamber can be over inflated to fill the whole pontoon. I liked the safety of that feature.

In general I am very happy with the boat, I wish it had cam lock style pontoon straps instead of the 'Fast-Lok' buckles, these can be hard to thread in bad conditions.

A couple of things to consider....

The Skeeters have a lot of 'rocker' (curved bottom on the pontoon) this is great for manuverability and white water, but I notice I tend to draw more water than the flat bottom ODC boats.

My buddy just bought a new Dave Scaddon boat that has a casting platform and hip brace that allow you to stand up for fishing. Very slick setup but it cost a little more.

I have modified or upgraded sevral things over the years, so be sure to include these in your purchase calculations...

1) class III PFD, don't leave home with out it.
    2) 3lbs grapple style anchor, the 'bag of rocks' sytem that came with the boat wasn't sufficiant.
    3) air pump, small one for the boat and a 12 volt one for the car.
    4) spare oar, required on some rivers.
    5) pulleys and cam lock for the anchor system.
    7) spare duffel bag, yeh it all fits in one with careful packing, but I find it easier to tote two smaller ones.
    force fins, they really do work and really are worth $100
    9) spare rod holder, better than the one that came with the boat.
    10) spare parts and repair kit

I have a Creek Company aluminum frame ODC 816. No complaints. Great boat. Lifetime warranty on non-metal parts like the pontoons. Patch kit and fast two-way air pump included. Fast set up and take down with no tools (uses snap pins). Adjustable footrests and oarlocks. D-rings. Large storage pockets. Cargo deck. Stripping apron with measure. Capacity of 375 lbs. and weighs 45 lbs. 8 ft. x 4.5 ft. Very portable.

The new model 816 has a plastic seat but I like my old padded frame seat better (I don't know if you can pick which seat you want). I later added an anchor, depth/fish finder, and rod holder on mine. Cabela's seems to have the best price on the Creek Company pontoon catamarans that I have seen. Pontoon cats are a lot of fun. Whichever brand you get, I'm sure you will like it.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"

[This message has been edited by dixieangler (edited 26 May 2005).]
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Thanks guys for all the tips. Seems like I've got a whole lot of research to do before plunking it down.

I am not that experienced, so maybe lot's of things important ( I hav a 7' Water Skeeter). But I would not even consider one without the rod holder mounted on the frame. For this rookie anyway.....it is sooooo handy. Mine is not new....and therefore probably made with pig iron. It is heavy for one man to carry. Was out with two other guys on a very bad day, 1' waves, whitecaps...they had shorter pontoon boats....they didn't seem to have a bit of trouble on the water....and when I helped them carry up to the trailer.....very lightweight! I would really like to have one that easy too handle. Mine I have to grab the handles and bend over and carry it on my back and it is heavy. I could pick up theirs if I remember right, with one hand, maybe two...but walk right along with it. And they each had different manafacturer's boats.

I know you did not mention float tubes....it's pontoon boat for you. Not sure what waters you are going to fish on. But there is a Fish Cat 4 "Pontoon float" tube in Cabelas 2005 Fly Fishing Catalog on page 111, for $139. There is a Super Fat Cat on page 110 for $375. And a similar Cabelas on page 209 for $199. The pontoon float tube sits you up on the water like a pontoon boat, but not as high. It is not a float tube wherein most of your body is in the water. Thing is....if a pontoon floattube would work for you....."Sportsman's Warehouse" in Phoenix had a brand (last summer)that looks built precisely like the first two I mentioned.......$89. Sportsman's Warehouse is supposed to be having a grand opening of a new store in Mesa, AZ this July. I don't know if it's going to be on the 4th....and I don't know if price is still $89. But the same boat up here was $129. I would have to go out to my container and unlock it and get the boat box out to give you specifics. I will if you want me to, it not that big a deal. The color of mine is green and highway worker jacket Orange. I like it. I pick it up with one hand over my shoulder and just walk. e-mail me....I check e-mail more frequently than the board. Good Luck either way.

just FYI

------------------
    Plain old Jim, I'm Plain...and I'm old.

Hey POJ, Where in Mesa? I was under the impresstion that they cancelled that project and instead went out into the West Valley somewhere.

Bass Pro very recently got the "go ahead" from Mesa to build a big'un in the Rio Salado area.

I Wish Cabela's would get off their butt and build something in the Southwestern part of the USA>

Sorry guys to intrude with a "local knowledge" discussion.

------------------
    Snow on the roof but with fire still in the hearth

I have the Trout Unlimited Madison and for the $260 it's hard to beat. Most cost much more. Mine has 12 storage pockets and fits right on top of my 4Runner. It also weighs about 46 LBS. The ors are heavy duty and the rear anchor mount has sufficent room for mounting a trolling motor if desired. It has a great warranty and you get a 1 year membership to Trout unlimited. Only thing I don't like is that it didn't have a foot rest or platform. Just the two straight out and bent foot rests. You can easily modify this though and make it exactly what you want. I think the cup holders are nice too. It even has a patch on one pocket for attaching fly's. Take a look at it at the Cabelas site. The frame is heavy duty and should last forever.

+ Reply to Thread