+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what would you tie with.....?

Default what would you tie with.....?

we have two bantam roosters that are coming into their own (crowing all the time, causing problems with the hens). One is cream colored with black centers to the feathers, similar to a badger hackle, and one is a brown color with a black center. However, on the saddles of both roosters, the black area down the center of the feather has a metallic green sheen. So I want to know, what would you tie with these feathers???

Yes.

The brown with a black centre sounds like a furnace.
    A very useful cockerel hackle. The badger type you can try colouring the feathers with a pentel pen to what you fancy. Have look through dry fly patterns.
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

Could you post a picture please
    Joe

Blog Entries

Are you going to let them molt and then pluck the feathers, or are you planning on killing two birds with one stone (ugh) and solving the noise problem as well?

I used to buy roosters from farmyard flocks and I would never buy one less than two years old if I wanted the hackle for dry flies. It was amazing how cheaply I could buy old roosters which were deemed, quite correctly, to be all but inedible. The drawback was the time that I did this while living in the frat house...

I'd tie anything I could with them.

If the barbs were stiff enough for dry flies, then I'd use the cape for those. If not, then for streamer wings, hackle tip wings on dries, etc..

The saddles would work for buggers, certainly, and mabe dries depending on barb quality. Or at least for tails on poppers and such.

Wouldn't waste any of it. (color isn't critical as hackle or much else, for that matter. The color they are is fine for most things)

Good luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I'll go take some pics now, but I am not sure how to post pics here. Both of them are about 16 weeks old. I have skinned a few roosters in the past, but I don't think I waited long enogh, I recently saw one of the siblings,(about a year old) and the saddles on him are amazing!! I'll go get a few pics and see if I can post them

I got some fairlly good pics, if you are really interested in seeing them, PM me and I'll e-mail them to you

If the hackles are good as they sound, it might be worth feeding them for a couple more years and getting even better.
    If you do, as a bonus, I'll send you the traditional recipe for Cockaleekie soup, which was the usual fate of unwanted roosters here in Scotland.
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

I think I'll keep them for a little while longer.(as long as they don't terorize the hens, we have another guy who had been removed from the general population) When I look at the pics I took I can really see the metallic colors, and maybe the potential for some salt water streamers...Send me that recipie!!

+ Reply to Thread