+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anybody ever try Sheepshead on a fly?

Default Anybody ever try Sheepshead on a fly?

I've been told how hard sheepshead are to catch because of their fast but delicate bite. do you think it might give you an advantage to try to take on on the fly?

What kind of fly would you use? Maybe a sink tip?

Thanks,
    Rusty <><

Default I did

in and around Tampa last Fall and Spring. A few #4 Deciever type patterns soaked (yes) in a bucket that had shrimp in it for extra smell and caught a few. Man they are a blast on a fly and fight pretty good on a 5 weight!

They love the dock areas where normal Snook habitat is...just my .02?

TroutDawg

Are you going to try to catch them on the flats or around structure?

Capt. Chris Myers

PCR, Try a small scud type or wooly booger (sans the tail, or atlest shorten it up) in black or olive on an opened #8 or #6 34007 hooks. I tie mine with a dubbed body, then palmer a hackle up to the hook eye and finish it off. I'll trip down the palmered hackle on the back and sides, leaving the palmered hackle as is facing the gape of the hook. A turn or two of lead wire can be added if you need to get the fly down quickly.

In the late winter and early spring, we get a good number of sheepshead on the flats and this type flies works well. You can also try a small bead eye clouser in the same colors, they'll certainly hit them. Tight lines, Chris

I was thinking of staying around some structure. There is a bridge that runs between Tampa and St. Petersburg near me that is said to hold large quantities of them.

Rusty <><

+ Reply to Thread