+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ***Fishing dropper rigs in VA Special Reg's. water illegal**

Default ***Fishing dropper rigs in VA Special Reg's. water illegal**

Question was asked of game warden, who was the speaker at out local T.U. chapter last night, as to just what constituted a "single hook use only in the Special Reg's. waters." He said that under current law as written he'd have to ticket you if you were fishing a dropper rig as that would be using two hooks. He further stated that he had no choice under the current law; but, it's possible that a judge may interpret it differently. Also, he was asked what if you bent the hook on an indicator fly so that a trout couldn't be hooked and he said as long as it has a barb it's still illegal. So, if you want to fish with a large fly as an indicator with a nymph/wet fly as a dropper in Special Reg. waters you'd better clip the indicator fly barb, probably to be safe, all the way back to the hook bend and tie the dropper to the indicator hook eye. Posted signs at Special Reg. waters used to say "single hooks only" ; but, that designation was removed from the most recent ones. However, it would be wise to read the regulations as stated in the booklet or online at the VADGIF site. Just a heads-up to any visitors and also state anglers. The code may be changed in the future; but, it would probably be another year or more at best before that could be acted on and made law.

Default "Artificial Lure" definition from state website

Sorry 'bout that. Should have posted this in the first post. As you can see it's a mite confusing and could be open to interpretation.

Artificial Lure Definition

Artificial lure shall include manufactured or handmade flies, spinners, plugs, spoons, and facsimilies of live animals, but shall not be construed to include artifically produced organic baits and fish eggs that are intended to be ingested. Artificial lure with single hook shall mean any single point lure (with no multiple point hooks).

Dear Grn Mt Man,

I can see where that is confusing. Pennsylvania's regulations are similarly confusing but they clearly state that a single rod may have no more than 3 "hooks" on it while fishing and that a single "hook" may have 2 or 3 points allowing for a lure with three treble hooks for example. You can legally fish with two rods at once.

I figure that covers me when fishing PA's special regulation waters where I routinely fish 2 and 3 fly rigs. I asked a Waterways Conservation Officer about that once and he said he'd never arrest me for it so I figured I'm covered.

Something tells me that if you or I ever got checked as long as we were polite, and didn't get defensive or argumentative with the officer, the worst we would get is a warning.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

Just curious, why would you cut the hook off of perfectly good fly instead of just using a yarn or other indicator?

Avalon, can't fish two rods in Virginia either! Think you're correct about not being argumentative and being polite to the game warden; but, the gentleman that spoke to us said he'd write anyone up and it's up to the judge to decide. Could make an argument either way because of the language in the rule. I think the first reason this came about was to eliminate treble hooks in the Special Reg's. waters.

JayatWork, Good question. I don't use yarn and seldom use any other indicator except another large fly; so, if I wanted to fish the Special Reg's.with an indicator I'd probably prune the barb from it. No big deal as I tie my own and it would be only one barbless fly in my box. Water depth can vary a bit where I fish so I usually just weight my nymphs with soft weight and let 'er bounce.

Most of the special regulation waters I fish require a barbless hook anyway.

I can't fish with two rods in VA or anywhere else. One, the lines keep getting tangled when I cast, and two, I look like a flailing fool casting a fly rod in my left hand while casting a fly rod in my right, trying not to get washed away in the current!
    Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. ~ Mark Twain

+ Reply to Thread