+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Weighting product

Default Best Weighting product

I have used Loon Deep Soft Weight to get my nymphs or streamers down with some success, but the soft putty has the tendency to slide up or down the leader.

What have you found to be the best product to use?

Thanks,
    paff

Dinsmore shot
    Don't slide, sort of easy to get off, non-toxic, and a nice container with many sizes.

Going to try "Toobies" this year. Clever idea if it actually works.

Al
    [url=http://www.feather-craft.com/2005MAster/fcpage.asp?page=26:c5c41]http://www.feather-craft.com/2005MAster/fcpage.asp?page=26[/url:c5c41]

[This message has been edited by dryflie (edited 24 May 2005).]

I use Sticky Weight and do not have a problem with it sliding. I roll the putty very tightly onto the leader or tippet and it ends up in a football shape. Of course. if you apply it over the tippet to leader knot it will never move but as I said I haven't experienced it moving anywhere I use it.

------------------
    Joe

[This message has been edited by flyfisherjoe (edited 24 May 2005).]

Nothing but Sticky Weight. Very easy to use.

Will

driflie, looked at the Toobies you linked. It seems to me that they will not add much weight vs bulk. To make it worse it looks as if air can be trapped in the tubing and give it unwanted buoyancy. The nice thing about the putty weight is it is heavier than lead, can be formed streamlined and will pull free in some snagging situations.

------------------
    Joe

I purchased toobies a little while back and they seem to work OK. They can be a little hard to work with but once you get the hang of getting the weight into the tube (use some lube) they work well. Don't hang up to much either.

------------------
    Fish more, work less!

Joe, I haven't tried them yet, the rain up this way is just killing the fishing. Our early spring fishing is primarily muddler and Dryfly fishing anyway so the real need for weight will be some time yet.

I doubt they will trap any air as the slip tube is open on both ends. I do worry about there being enough friction on the leader to hold them in place. Seems they would make it easier to add or subtract weight but I don't know for certain yet. I do know I hate split shot and I'm not too fond of sticky weight either.

Al

I use soft weight on the tippet side of a loop to loop tippet to leader connection.
    Bought some split shot this season just to try. No way can I spend that much time. Soft or sticky, you can adjust quickly.

Dear paflyfisher,

I use good old Water Gremlin lead split shot, same as I always have.

I know they aren't environmental friendly. I know some folks say they twist your line. I know they don't come in all the exotic micro-sizes.

Mostly I use them because I have at least 5 pounds of them lying around in assorted sizes accumulated over 40 years of fishing, and the only semi-legal way I know to dispose of them is by getting them snagged on the bottom of the river.

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

+ Reply to Thread