+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Getting started with cane

Blog Entries

Default Getting started with cane

I've built quite a few rods up to this point-all of them graphite. I haven't ever cast a cane rod or even been able to get my hands on one, and would like to try it. From what I've read, fixing up an old one is probably my most economical way to do it, but I don't know where to go from here. Where is the best place to find old fly rods? I'm in a part of the country where fly fishing isn't very common, and you can't find them in estate sales. I would prefer something in 4, 5, or 6 weight and probably shorter more than longer, but I'll be flexible with that as well. Are the ebay rods a deal or should I look elsewhere?
    Any other pointers while I'm at it? Good sites with some restoration info? Thanks.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Ol' blue,

ebay is a great source for cheap old fixer uppers. Many first timers also like to make "banty" rods. They take those cheep old 9' 7wts., toss the butt section and turn them into 6' 5wts - that sort of thing. Your other option would be to contact a current maker about purchasing a rod blank. He would likely be willing to put together a component package for you as well with proper sized winding check, ferrules, tip tops, etc. This will take some of the guess work out of it and give you a more reliable source for quality. Good luck!

Bill O.

Ol'Blue, I PM'd you.

PM'd you one more time.

blue;
    short light line bamboo rods are the current favorite, and so bring the highest prices. Watch ebay for H-I Tonka Queens, Tonka Princes and South Bend 291's, these are 7 and 7'6" 5 wts that can be had fairly cheap depending on condition and are worth the trouble to refinish. It might make more sense to buy a blank made by a modern builder, it will be a better rod when done than any of the more affordable production rods.
    john

Blog Entries

Thanks. I'm going to do some looking and save some cash as well. I have a nice offer, but have to see where my cash situation ends up in the next day or so. I might have to wait another month before jumping in. That leaves more time for research, I guess.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

+ Reply to Thread