+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drying Squirrel tail

Default Drying Squirrel tail

i have a tail in the freezer and was wondering if their is a quick way to dry it? its been rainy cloudy and foggy for a while now and this week is gonna be about the same so i can't dry it in the sun. I refuse to put it in the microwave like i did to kill some bugs, because it made an indescribable odor that filled the house. And i can't leave it in the shed or garage because we have a bunch of mice and i had one tail in their that they started to eat and rip apart to make nests. Can anyone help?

Thanks
    WWFF

Mice aren't the only critters...don't do what I did...laid a couple on the patio chair after I washed out some blood..forgot and left them out overnight and not only did I lose the tails but the coon, skunk, possum or whatever it was tore the chair cushion climbing up.

Anyway drying squirrel tails isn't a big deal...they hardly need any....just lay them some where in the house...like utility room .

hmm duck we don't have a utility room

I was wondering ...but anyway I wouldn't hesitate to put them anywhere in the house as long as it didn't tick my wife off.... window sill whatever....I cut my tails off just a little way from the butt so there's almost nothing to dry....I wouldn't put them immediately in an air tight container so I do wait awhile.

I would dry them out soon if I were you. I didn't get some dried out soon enough and the hair fell out of the tails. Ruined. Needless to say I was upset. I would dry the tails before putting them in any air-tight container. I would get some clothes pins and hang them up high somewhere inside.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

what caused them to do that? anybody know?

Yes. The skin didn't tighten like it does when they dry so the hair fell out. That would be my guess.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

I had that happen some time ago to some I'd had for some time and I thought it was some critters that got in from a duck skin I had brought into the area...not my tying area...
    Are you sure about your cause ,Robert?

We're over lapping here

Pretty sure, Phil. Both times I had that happen to me, the skin had not dried on the tails. Never had a problem with that after the tails were dry.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

+ Reply to Thread