+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rust

Default rust

i have found that once i use a fly the hook starts to get rusty. is their anyway to stop the rust? something that you could put in your box to help prevent rust

I went to boxes that have bins... seems to have solved it...

Since I first began fishing I always hung my hooks, lures, or flies on some kind of patch until they were completely dry which except for the summer can mean overnight. I then put them away in their respective boxes.

I have no problems with rusty hooks when I make sure they are COMPLETELY dry before putting away.

Default rusty hooks

AS has been stated, prevention is the best way, but if your hooks are slightly rusted, take a ball of 4-0 steel wool and spray it with WD40, plunge the hook in several times and that should clean the rust
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

Default Rusty scuppers and such

Having been known to enjoy a spontaineous dip while in pursuit of the noble quarry( to read trout)it has come to my attention that my hooks have a tendency to rust. Also my attention has been drawn to the fact that if I leave the fly boxes open in the hot afternoon sun the flies (and myself) dry rather fast and my hooks dont seem to rust much any more.

Blog Entries

I was ordering some stuff form cabelas and ran across this.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

after Im done fishing...
    when I take my vest into the house.. I open my boxes for a few hours... so the flies dry out...

I started doing this because I was getting rusty hooks two... havent had one since..

Leonard

i have hook and loop(velcro) attatched to the back of my fly boxes and the corresponding piece adhered to the dash of my vehicle. When I get done fishing I open the box and stick it to the velcro on my dash. The sunshine/heat usually dries them by the time I get home. If not, I leave them there til they are...

Do you use a drying patch or are you putting a wet fly back into your flybox?
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Try the Wonder Dry Fly patch. I have used this for a couple of years now. I just press the nymph or wet fly between the two sides and all the moisture is sucked out of the fly. Then just place it back where you found it. I was tired of hanging on my patch or having to remember to open my box and dry it out. Give it a try. You can order them here. Give it a try. You can order them here.

http://www.wyomingflyfishing.com/Pins-A ... -C178.aspx

or here:
    http://www.elkhornflyrodandreel.com/Det ... ategory=17

Give 'em a try. You will love this product.

+ Reply to Thread