+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fenwick According to James Castwell

Default Fenwick According to James Castwell

James,

Thanks for the explanation of that insider Fenwick comment. If nothing else, since Fenwick made a lot of glass rods for serious fishermen, the odds are with you when you pop the question. The insight of it helps me, even though I never used a Fenwick. As I try to transition from glass and early graphite rods to something more 21st Century I sense that the timing is way different. What would you compare it to?
    Bear742

molassas....

Default Re: Fenwick According to James Castwell

Quote Originally Posted by Bear742
    James,

Thanks for the explanation of that insider Fenwick comment. If nothing else, since Fenwick made a lot of glass rods for serious fishermen, the odds are with you when you pop the question. The insight of it helps me, even though I never used a Fenwick. As I try to transition from glass and early graphite rods to something more 21st Century I sense that the timing is way different. What would you compare it to?

There are several choices in Glass out there today as there is in Graphite.
    Parabolic, is going to be way different than a dry fly taper.
    I have Berkley, Fenwick, Lamiglass, Steffen Bros, and McFarland glass and they are all different.
    I got the McFarland 8' 3pc. 6wt. for Christmas. It is what he calls a dry fly taper, but, it handles weighted flies fantastic. Not as slow as the Lamiglass, in fact, pretty fast for a glass.
    One thing about glass, is I feel it will make you a better caster. It makes you slow down and wait for it, plus you can feel the load up.
    I feel that fast/tip action rods cover up a lot of mistakes, but that is just my opinion.

Question; J.C. were Fenwick first with a "Glass to Glass" Ferules, as with their Feralite Rods?? Just curious. Thank you. Jax
    Getting OLD is For Old People.

Have Fun Stay Young Go Fly Fishing!

Jax, sorry, I don't remember.
    fast/tip action rods cover up a lot of mistakes,
    Then again, I often hear that they magnify mistakes and only the really good casters can handle them. "Too fast for beginners!"

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell
    Jax, sorry, I don't remember.
    fast/tip action rods cover up a lot of mistakes,
    Then again, I often hear that they magnify mistakes and only the really good casters can handle them. "Too fast for beginners!"

That too!

Quote Originally Posted by Jax
    Question; J.C. were Fenwick first with a "Glass to Glass" Ferules, as with their Feralite Rods?? Just curious. Thank you. Jax

Yes, Fenwick was the first. It was around 1962/65 somewhere around there. I think Jimmy Green was to thank for that.

Thanks Fly Goddess; I thought that might be the case. I still give my 9wt Feralite an outing on the Tongoriro or one of the lakes once in a while. Talk about Lazy Laidback Action compared to my 6wt Inovation by Kilwell that is the love of my life for fishing "The Dry" Have Fun. Jax
    Getting OLD is For Old People.

Have Fun Stay Young Go Fly Fishing!

FG,
    I agree with you. My dead grandmother can cast a tight loop with a WF line on a fast action rod.

+ Reply to Thread