+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Two nymph rigs???

Default Two nymph rigs???

When I rig a dry fly for a indicator I always tie the nymph to the bend of the dry fly hook. When using two nymphs and no dry fly what is the best rig.

1. Tie your tippet with a long tag and tie one fly off the knot and the other at the end of the tippet.

2. Tie first fly to the leader then tie the tippet to eithsr the bend or eye to that fly

3. Or, Some other way??

Thanks for the help
    Tom

Default Re: Two nymph rigs???

Quote Originally Posted by TomW
    When I rig a dry fly for a indicator I always tie the nymph to the bend of the dry fly hook. When using two nymphs and no dry fly what is the best rig.

1. Tie your tippet with a long tag and tie one fly off the knot and the other at the end of the tippet.

2. Tie first fly to the leader then tie the tippet to eithsr the bend or eye to that fly

3. Or, Some other way??

Thanks for the help
    Tom
    yes ......... just tie it. where ever you feel like.
    dB
    Sanitize your FF equipment and wash your boat, trailer, livewells & sumps. Wash your wading dog

I always tie my dropper off the bend of the top fly. Some folks tie to the eye of the first fly but I feel you are more likly to get tangled that way.

Hi,

When I fish two nymphs it's usually a truck and trailer set up (tied to the bend).

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Mostly, I use the upper tag of the tippet knot. This time of year, I tie an egg fly there and a stonefly type nymph at the end of the line to nymph for metalheads.
    I used to tie to the hook bend. Now,I tie to the eye of the hook which seems to tangle less and catch more fish. Just my observation. Experiment and find what you like.

6. Default

When you want to fish two flys, put one on your tippet and the other on your hat. Switch if you don't catch fish.

Blog Entries

I don't know about "best", since what is best for one person won't necessarily be for another. I tie the large fly on top, then tippet to the bend of that hook, then the small fly as the dropper. Works for me, and has for many years.

DG

This may sound kinda wacko but most of my two fly setups are for warmwater fish. I have both a "go to fly" for top water and one for sub surface. Since I tie my own flies here is what I do.

(1) Take the bare hook of the go to fly and snell a 3 foot length on 6lb mono so that the mono trails behind the hook.

(2) Place the go to fly into the vise and tie my fly, leaving the mono tangling. The fly is tied so the mono is between the hook shank and the body of the fly and hangs straight back from the fly.

(3) At the lake tie a length of 8 lb mono onto the leader and attach the go to fly to the 8 lb.

(4) Tie whatever fly I want as the bottom fly at the other end of the 6 lb mono.

Sound like a lot of trouble but it insures that the rig lies straight in the water and has less tangle ups. You can always change the bottom fly if you see the need to.

Tim Anderson

(

A guide told me that if you are using your top fly as more of an attractor, to tie to the bend, but if you anticipate getting strikes to your top fly, it is better to tie to the eye, because the tippet for the bottom fly could impede a hook-up on the top.

+ Reply to Thread