+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite fly fishing book?

Default What's your favorite fly fishing book?

I'm looking to get a few books on fly fishing. My main goals are to improve my casting, general techniques (especially nymphing), and insect id.

This board has always been a great resource for me so I was wondering what you guys thought were great books.

TROUT by Ray Bergman. Problem is,,, it won't do any of the things you are after.

THE CAST...by Ed Jaworowski.
    nam

The Fish's Eye: Essays About Angling and the Outdoors by Ian Frazier. JGW

Blog Entries

I have and enjoy "Fly casting Techniques" by Joan Wulff. Which along with Her fly casting video make a good combination.

I have Lefty Kerh's latest flycasting video which I like as much as I like Joans. different styles but both great casters and teachers.

Bearing in mind that I Stillwater fish most of the time with Nymphs and chronimids my favorite book is "Fly patterns for Stillwaters" by Philip Rowley.

It concentrates on my home waters which for me is a plus but may not help you so much as I live in British Columbia.

My favorite video is a set of 6 cd's put out by True North entertainment called "Expert Techniques for creative Fly Tying" which I have found Helped my tying a lot . It has detailed instructions for tying 55 different fly patterns. Although it is called ExpertTechniues even a beginner can tie using its easy instructions.

For chironomid fishing I like the video by Brian Chan called expert techniques for "Stillwater fly Fishing" It has instructions for 15 flies. He shows how to read stillwater lakes and fish them effectivly. There is a very good section on how to read a lake to find out what the hatch is and how to use what you have learned to catch fish.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

for fly fishing - I have no favorite book - I love 'em all. Not trying to sit on a fence - but I keep my mind open that everyone flyfishes differently - then I meld what I read into something I can use.
    As for insect ID .... Audobon (sp?) has a pocket field guide titled 'Insects'. Great for general and some detailed ID. But if you're looking for mayflies, caddis, stones ..... I forget the book and who wrote it, but there is one that was put out specifically for mayflies of the NE USofA. It was very well put together, great info - but too $ $ $ at the time (between payday$).

As mentioned above, it doesn't really cover what you're looking for, but the book I've gotten the most from is AK's Flybox by AK Best. Been tying for years, and this book fixed many problems.

For nymphs, the standard for me is Randall Kaufman's American Nymph Fly Tying Manual
    Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. ~ Mark Twain

Production Fly Tying by AK Best.....he is just awesome.

I would suggest "Prospecting for Trout" and a book on Reading Trout Streams (there are a few good ones) for any beginner. I find that a lot of the true beginner books (Orvis's comes to mind) severly lack information on both of these aspects.

Quote Originally Posted by GBurgFisher
    I would suggest "Prospecting for Trout" and a book on Reading Trout Streams (there are a few good ones) for any beginner. I find that a lot of the true beginner books (Orvis's comes to mind) severly lack information on both of these aspects.
    Curious.. I was given the Orvis Guide to Reading Streams for Christmas. I've gathered a decent amount of information from it. Keep in mind I'm pretty new to fly fishing so pretty much everything I read right now seems like good information, so what is lacking? Being "green" makes it difficult sometimes to filter what's "enough" and what's "lacking" simply due to inexperience. Which books would I look at to find the information missed? Or, maybe better phrased, which books are more thorough? Perhaps more to the point, how does a relative "newbie" determine if a book has enough information or good information? There's just SO much out there, it's daunting.

Matt

+ Reply to Thread