+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Forecast 764-4; Latest Build

Default Forecast 764-4; Latest Build

It's been a while since I posted some pics so here are a few of a Forecast 764-4 that I just finished this week. I have opted to omit any form of inscription on my personal rods from now on and went with single thread inlay measuring marks instead; 12", 14" and 16". I fish this rod with a WF6 for bass out of my yak and it fishes that line very nicely upto 45 to 50 feet.

Went with a reverse half wells grip that I fine tuned to my liking; PacBay S1 with titanium slide rings; cocobolo insert; and royal blue wraps with white NCP trim; Felx coat lite finish no CP; Guides are all single foot alconites.

I had a bit of trouble with the seat insert as it had a very heavy uneven finish so I had to sand it down, steel wool, and then apply some polish. Then I had a problem with the hardware having some burrs and scratching the insert so I had to remove the butt cap, and polish the insides of the slide rings.

Overall, very happy with the new/ rebuilt stick.

Handle Section

Reel Seat

Matching Knurling on WC and measuring marks

Closeup of Single Trim

Lou

Very nice job! That's one to be proud.It's a 4wt right? You fish it with a 6wt line?
    I'm still tryin to decide whether or not I want to start building.

Hi John,

Yep the blank is labeled for a 4wt line, but I think it loads much better with a 5 or 6wt line. In fact, that is why i am no longer putting labels on my rods. I take the factories designated line as a starting point, and go up from there to find a line that works to my liking.

Lou

Thats a sweet looking stick Lou, excellent work!!

Blog Entries

Good job!
    I love that particular blank. That is the one I've built for my wife, my 9 year old son, and several friends to get them started in flyfishing. I've used both old (pre-2005) and new versions.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

L-dog,

Your rod looks great! I just finished my 2nd rod and have a 2 wt forcast ordered.

The measuring marks sound like a good idea. Do you measure from the bottom of the real seat or from the top of the cork grip? Also when you say a single thread inlay is that wound between the blue thread?

Hey KsFisher,

I also have a Forecast 2wt that I busted the tip on that I will be rebuilding soon. I fish that blank with a WF4 line and it's sweet. It can easily handle 2, 3, and 4wt lines.

I measure from the bottom of the seat for the measuring marks. The single thread inlay is between the blue thread. You run the white under the blue and trapping it in place until you get to the point where you want the trim wrap to be. Then you wrap the white over the main thread once, and then continue the main wrap over the white for a bit. Don't forget to insert a tie off loop!

HTH,

Lou

L-dog nice job on the rod and thanks for the how to on the single thread inlay. I've been wondering how that's done.

I'm guessing color preserver has to be used with the inlay or the tag ends would be visible through the other wraps? I'd like to do a metallic silver inlay with garnet wraps on a dark charcoal blank that I have. But I wasn't planning on using color preserver. Is this possible?

Hey Mosca,

Silver under garnet with no CP will be fine. I've done that combo and the silver will be just a tad bit visible under the garnet, but you'd have to really look closely for it. I hate CP and never use it.

Lou

+ Reply to Thread