+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling All KY Fly Anglers

Default Calling All KY Fly Anglers

Just curious if there any FAOLers from the Bluegrass state.It seems that I am the only flyfisherman around these parts.How about southern Indiana?

Default Ky

JMoody, there are lots of fly fishers in Ky. I live in the Louisville area and I do considerable fishing around here with the long rod.

Chugger

Hey J -

I have been fly fishing KY for years. Live in Danville. If you ever wade the Cumberland I'll bet we have crossed paths. Helms, Little Indian Creek, Crocus Creek, Rock House, Traces, etc. Just waiting for the gens to drop off a little and I'll be down there again. Where is it that you fly fish? I'm strictly "cold water and trout" for the most part, but if those gens don't stop soon I may have to hit one of the wadable bass creeks. Hate to do that but I'm starting to develop a nervous twitch from not throwing the fly line.

Drop me a PM if you're ever interested in meeting at the Cumberland. It's a short notice type of thing because you never know until the day before what the generator schedule is going to be.

Hey Chugger, how about you??? Ever wade the Cumberland?
    Bob

~~~ Fly Fish the Cumberland, it will make you live longer.~~~

There is more of us around but we are scattered. I moved to Ky from Michigan in 1970. I had people giving me the "what the heck stare" when flyfishing for Smallies on the local streams. I found out by accident that both my Doctor and Dentist FF.

I live currently in Nicholas Co., I get one or two trips a year to Rock Creek and the Red River Gorge, but prefer the Smokies. J, where do you live?

The Bluegrass TU and Louisville TU chapters have a lot of FF'ers, there is a strong FFF chapter in Northern Ky.

rst- Don't limit yourself to "Cold Water". My first love is a mountain stream (esp. Smokies) but hook a Snook on a gurgler, a 22 inch flounder (a Bluegill w/attitude) or a 25 inch Smallie. As a recent retiree, I've been able to travel around and have enjoyed pursuing differnt prey. I may have to change my "Tag"

Kytroutbum -

I moved to KY in 1976 from NH. I know where you?re coming from on the mountain streams. I do miss those and also the natural ponds, the ones you have to hike a couple hours to get there, or do an overnight to fish. I always have to make a few trips to those spots when in New England.

I have made a few trips to Rock Creek and it was great, but the Cumberland is one of the best trout rivers around, and I dare say in the country. The only drawback is the generators and never knowing, if you wade, when you can fish.

I'm really not opposed to warm water, it?s just that I love going after the trout and they don't care much for warm water. But I am going to take your advice and expand a bit. In fact I have a buddy who is on the verge of being converted (wrong word) is going to "try" the fly rod, and I'll probably go after some LM on a small creek that's one of his secret places. I have several KY fishing buddies and boy are most of them attached to that ol? spinning rod, but I'm working on them.

I, as well, will be retired this year sometime and will be making some trips to fish other places - probably out west to start. I really would like to get to the ?Fish In? this year, but can't make any definite plans as yet. The folks on this site sure seem to be a top notch group, and would like to meet some of them face to face.

Good having this back-in-forth, try to get to the Cumberland one of these days.

Bob
    Bob

Thanks for the replies. There aren't many FFer's in my part of the state(western).Unfornunately, the closest trout water is about a two hours drive.Trout is certainly my preferred species, but I have been learning to really enjoy warmwater fishing with the long rod.
    Most of my trout fishing was done when I lived in British Columbia (WOW that place was awesome!).I would love to fish the Cumberland someday.
    Has anyone fished Trammel Fork in Allen Co.?

Warm Regards,
    Jason

rst- I'll get back to you in March when I get back from Fla. going to chase Redfish and Snook in the Mangroves around Sanibel Island for a month. Something is wrong with fishing in January with Butterflies around I'm interested in trying Cumberland but never really got to know my way around. Interested in showing me around? I'll drive. I love New England, fished Baxter Park and West Branch of Penobscot this fall. Beautiful country.

Quote Originally Posted by Kytroutbum
    rst- I'll get back to you in March when I get back from Fla. going to chase Redfish and Snook in the Mangroves around Sanibel Island for a month. Something is wrong with fishing in January with Butterflies around I'm interested in trying Cumberland but never really got to know my way around. Interested in showing me around? I'll drive. I love New England, fished Baxter Park and West Branch of Penobscot this fall. Beautiful country.
    KYtroutbum -

Any time you want a trip to the Cumberland just let me know. I'm down there just about every weekend that is wadeable. When you get back from FL drop a PM.

I was at the Penobscot about 4 years ago, staying at Abal Campground. Pulled two land locked salmon out of the river. Minimum limit was 18 inches and these were 16 and 17 (as expected) . The regs on that river are really funny, they seem to change every mile or so. I talked with a Game Warden about all the regs and how difficult it was to keep them straight. He agreed and told me that if I released every fish I caught I wouldn?t break any laws, and then laughed.

But again I?d be happy to show you what I know about the Cumberland most anytime; it?s one of my favorite places to fish.

Below is the gen schedule wed address for Wolf Creek Dam. The Corp is pretty consistent and do not change the schedule much at all. The last web address, posted below, is the lake plots. If you get addicted to wading the Cumberland, like I am, you will need both to help determine fishing availability.

Good luck in FL.
    RST

http://www.lakeinfo.tva.gov/htbin/lakei ... =View+data

http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/hh/resplots/wol_a.html
    Bob

Default Fly fishing in Kintucky

Check the fly fishing show in Louisville on January 27. It is at the Holiday Inn Convention Center on Fern Valley Rd. It is presented by the Derby City Fly Fishers.

See you there

fishbum

Default Re: Fly fishing in Kintucky

Quote Originally Posted by fishbum
    Check the fly fishing show in Louisville on January 27. It is at the Holiday Inn Convention Center on Fern Valley Rd. It is presented by the Derby City Fly Fishers.

See you there

fishbum
    Fishbum - I have never been to that show, what would one expect at this show. Are you a vendor, or a spectator? Will you have a booth? May just get one of my fishing buds and head over. Can you provide some short details about what goes on? Is there a fee to get in? Can you buy stuff, or is it just display stuff?

Is this Holiday Inn located on the left side of the I64 heading into Louisville from the east? I think I know where you?re talking about. Is there any web site info "link" that you can provide?

You've got my interest and would like to know more.

Thanks
    Bob
    Bob

+ Reply to Thread