+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best line for a Battenkill 7 1/2 ft. rod

Default Best line for a Battenkill 7 1/2 ft. rod

I have a Battenkill rod I purchased in 1970 which at the time Orvis called their "Basic for Trout" rod. It is 7 1/2 long, rated for a #6 line. I purchased this rod at the suggestion of my Tool and Die Maker instructor, who also made me purchase several Model 12 shotguns thinking they would be a good investment, but that is another story. Anyway, this rod has been fished probably twice. Now in my senior years, I want to fish this rod. What line would you recommend? I have read that these older bamboo rods cast better with different line sizes then were originally reccomended. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Many think that this is best taper Orvis came up with. It casts smooth and works well with dries and nymphs. I use it with a 5 DT - usually a Cortland 444 peach. I have used a 6 WF and liked that too. I don't know how your model 12s turned out but this is great rod. Enjoy.

David

Default Battenkill rod

I have a much earlier version of this rod and it has become my favorite. I first fished it with a Cortland 333 6 wt DT but I now fish it with a 6 wt dt silk.
    AgMD

Sport:

Don't be afraid to fish the older Orvis bamboo rods with the recommended line weight; in your case a 6wt. The slower action of those older rods is something that is a delight to fish.

I own several Orvis bamboo rods that have a sweet slow action that I love although I'm sure many folks would be inclined to fish them with a line size lighter. With a 1970 vintage I would fish a DT6F 444 Peach which was the benchmark around the time that rod was made.

Enjoy your rod!

Just to stir the pot a little. I have a 7 1/2' bamboo and cast a Cortland Sylk DT line in the designated line wt. for the rod, in my case a 4 wt. Just a thought

sport

Sent you a pm.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Default how many oz?

sport - Orvis has made many tapers in 7'6". One excellent rule of thumb to help with your best line weight (assuming modern plastic lines) is weight.

Another refinement in making a judgement is the age of the rod, which the serial number can help pinpoint.

For what it's worth, Orvi in this length can go from a 4wt to even a 7, depending on the amount of wood and taper.

tl
    les

lesyoung is wise

what is the weight of the rod? Rated a 6wt I am gonna guess it to be 3 5/8 or 3 7/8, I think...

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Satchel
    Just to stir the pot a little. I have a 7 1/2' bamboo and cast a Cortland Sylk DT line in the designated line wt. for the rod, in my case a 4 wt. Just a thought
    That Sylk line is sweet. I cast a DT-6W-F with my Monty Western Special.

If it's the 3 7/8 oz 2-piece model, I like a DT5 on it. I use an Air Cel Supreme 2.

+ Reply to Thread