+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Making a Cork Grip Tapered Reamer

Default Making a Cork Grip Tapered Reamer

When I got into rod building the first thing I discovered in the archives was that I needed a tapered reamer to fit the cork grip to the butt section. As instructed I found an old rod removed the guides and cut it into 15 - 18 inch sections. There were several ideas presented here and from friends on abrasives and how to apply them to the rod sections. The best I have found is a 1/4" strip of self adhesive 3M stair tread spiraled down the peice of rod leaving a 1/8" gap to catch the dust. This reamer will last forever and cut quick so check the fit often. If you turn your reamer clockwise wind the strip of non-skid clockwise also to keep it from unpeeling.
    I found the 3M non-skid at the local lumber yard for about $1.70 a foot. It's a couple of inchs wide so you can make several different size reamers.

Thanks Jack, for sharing this tip.Much less expensive than buying those tapered reamers offered in rod builders catalogs.My rat tail files have worked over the years, but it is time consuming.
    Wes.

Those are pretty neat tools Jack. I used to do the same thing, then I made some razor wands that I could use on my lathe, made it a whole lot faster for me. I still have and use the wrapped versions to do some final fitting sometimes when I am going to build a rod that has no winding check. You are right, they work very very well.

The new "Dream Reamer" tools that have been released by Batson are to die for. They are solid fiberglass rods with steel fittings to put into a drill chuck or a handle for manual use. They are spiral wrapped with coated abrasive paper and very well made. I have a full set of the sizes and have done several grips and love them. For most folks, just the two smallest sizes would work fine - I just never know what I may be requested to do, so I purchased the entire assortment.

Thanks for the tip TJ...that is a pretty cool looking set up for sure...did a google and found it here...

http://www.shofftackle.com/dream_reamer.html

You can buy them from Bob McKamey with Custom Tackle at 931-684-6164. He has the best pricing that I am aware of.

Little Rock AR, wishing I was still in Anchorage, AK

Jack thanks for the tip I recently ruined my other size small reemer on burl cork (that stuff is tough as Chuck Noris) so I might give this idea a shot

bump

bump again for Joe

Bump for fishnnstudyin

+ Reply to Thread