+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Many Swaps

Default How Many Swaps

How many fly swaps do you get into each year? How many do you think is to many to get into?

I get into a large number of swaps each year and I enjoy them a lot. I am just wandering how many others get into and there opinions on entering multi swaps. Everyones opinions are welcome and wanted. John
    I wish you all everlasting flies and tight lines.

Normand Guest

I get into 3-4 swaps a year on other boards as it is hard to get into ones here on this board if you dont constantly check on them hourly. They tend to fill up fast.

I was in one on another board and that one took about six months to get the swap flies due to people being late, dropping out without ever telling the swapmeister, never rplying to numerous PM's asking them if they are still in and the swapmeister not having a handle on his duties. That sure does discourage me from getting into swaps.

Norm, try to get into some of the swaps here they are run great, the Swapmeisters, stay ontop of things and most swaps finsih in less than 2 months. If You want to get into a swap sometime and it is filled. If I am in it let me know and I will let you take my place. You will not find better swaps and where that can outdo the swaps on FAOL. You could also start a swap yourself it is a lot of fun hosting a swap. Many here would help you. Thanks for your reply. John

i try to limit myself to only "owing" flies to two or three swaps, and i like to have them mailed about 2 weeks early. but once i get a set or two mailed i join more swaps.

I dont limit myself to a set number, just what i think i can keep up with. I will have to check my spreadsheet when i get home but i think currently i am in 7 or 8, but i only have 3 that i need to tie for, the rest have been sent and the earliest due date i have to meet is mid-February.

This is my big swap time, as it gets closer to spring i will slow down a lot and by the end of summer i usually quit altogether.

I think i have tied between 300-350 swap flies in the last year (again needto check speadsheet for accurate number) which equates out to roughly 30 swaps
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

Joe I do mine about the same as you. I usualy get my flies tied up within a week after I join a swap. Swaps are so fun, I learn a lot from the other swappers. I do enter a lot of swaps. I am currently in 15, which also include 2 that I am conducting. 1 of mine is a swap box though. I hope you all have as much fun as I do with swaps. John

I have been in about a dozen swaps since joining this site. Unfortunately have had to drop out of two; one due to family illness and one due to me overestimating how much free time I really have since having my baby.

They are a great way to develop your tying skills and see what other people come up with. I have a pile of flies sitting here from swaps.... can't make myself fish with any of them so if they look good I'll tie up a few copies and give them a whirl.

I've been in 2 swap boxes too and those are great! The last one disappeared halfway through though and I never had the chance to see it. The recipient never answered any emails and managed to make off with a lot of really nice tying materials.... not cool but I guess there's people like that everywhere. {{{{{SHRUG}}}}}

this week marks my third year flyfishing and almost three years tying. Myfirst swap was on FAOL and I was reluctant because I barely knew what I was doing. However, the flies turned out just fine and I was proud to see the pictures with all the other flies in the swap. I keep going thru my fly tying goodies and finding boxes of flies from various swaps I have been in. One of these days I will get them organized. I suppose I have been in eight swaps this last year.

SheTies, You have been in a swap or two with me. I would welcome you to any swap.

I have been in 3 swap boxes myself, the first one the box never got to me from the person who was in line just before me. The host of the box and myself tried many time to contact that person but he never answered our communications. This does happen once in a great while. Do not let that discourage you from joining in. I an now conduting my second swap box and so far they have both gone great. Thanks for your reply. Family does come before swaps rightfully so. John

I do 3-4 per year. I dont want to get bogged down in having to keep up with swaps. I normally do 2 or so here, and 1 or 2 on rec.outdoors.fly.fishing.

I know a lot of people do more. I think you are doing too many when you can't keep up with getting the flies in on time

Now my problem is what to do with all the flies . . LOL . . I put alot of them in my boxex and fish 'em. Some patterns that are not used locally sit around on my fly tying desk. I am saving some of the unusual ones for a shadow box that I would like to build. I have a few flies from Australia and Europe that I would like to mount and display somehow.

wayne
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

I have the same problem with the a lot of flies I received from swaps, I try to put them all in boxes but some I do share with new tyers and new fly fishers. John

+ Reply to Thread