+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bent bamboo rod

thanks fcch. Now that that is solved how do i straighten the rod? how much heat do i need besides not to much not to little. What kind of heat source do I use.

------------------
    That being said.... Lets fish.

I don't know much about 'Boo, so I'd give a call to Ron
    Tel: (845) 496-7187 Fax: (845) 496-6504
    or @
    info@ronkusse.com

Or, ... possibly
    Taylor Rods:
    (717) 258-1113
    Bamboo@pa.net
    ------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:0c91a]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/[/url:0c91a]

[This message has been edited by fcch (edited 21 May 2005).]
    Christopher Chin

I've used a hair dryer. Just heat it evenly at the area you want to straighten. Bend it with your hands and hold it 'til it cools. If it's not enough do it again with a little more pressure.

------------------
    Joe

It's been years since I owned a bamboo rod and from what I can remember the admonishment at that time was when the rod was being stored in a rod tube that the lid should be left off to help air circulate and thus help avoid rod warp. One other thing I did in those days was to hang the rod tip from one of those tea cup hooks in the back of the closet and hence avoid the rod tip from warp. Anyway, helped with the rod warping for me at the time. But then, this was years ago; maybe there's newer, better methods these days.

Dale

[This message has been edited by DaleW (edited 21 May 2005).]

On the bent section, There are a couple of things that you could be seeing there. Fishings "set" is usually characterized by being fairly straight coming out of the ferrule then the "bend" is seen in the section itself. A ferrule that has been damaged, removed and incorrectly reset, or is bent, will cause the section to be fairly straight if you sight down just the section itself, but when assembled to the mid, it will almost turn one way or the other right at the ferrule.
    If it is a fishing set, consistent light application of heat from a heat source such as a hair dryer can help to straighten the section but you have to be patient and do not apply too much heat or you could damage the section. Heat a little, straighten a little, etc until you have a straight section. If it is the ferrule, it will need to be removed and reset, or possibly replaced. and, it could be a combination of the two things that you are seeing.

I have a few of those reels..and they can be a lil delicate compared to their uprighted cousin's..be gentle with it and it'll serve ya well..as for the rod it prolly just tooka set..you can use a tea type pot and steam the section where the bend is ...becareful and do a little at time,I love buying old production rods and restoreing them..and I always fish them,It's why they made em...
    Enjoy your rod and I hope you fish it....Often....ps...a good way to find out if the Furrel might be lose is to assemble the rod and work it through the casting motions,If you hear an audible "click" or feel an unusual thump...theres good indication that removal,cleaning,and reepoxying might be a good idea...

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Lots of good advice ! I would suggest using the hair dryer and not steam 'cause you don't want to introduce moisture into the bamboo . Also ( as has already been mentioned ), take it slow . It's real easy to destroy the finish with too much heat.

I've dropped plenty a bammies in the water,and if the rods finish is intact,there'll be none getting into the bamboo.If it's not in good shape I'd suggest stripping and refinishing the entire rod,this needs done periodically anyway,unless the rod has been "impregnated", which puts the finish throughout the entire blank.

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread