+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cortland Flyline Questions

Default Cortland Flyline Questions

Hi,
    I am looking for comments reagrding the following fly lines. I am looking for a basic WF4 line. I am looking at the Cortland Fairplay, 333HT (Rocket Taper), and Climax Wind Taper.

Thanks,
    Mike

Since some fly lines are made for specific conitions, I guess the next question would be, what are your conditions?

Big water, small creeks, lakes or ponds, etc. Wind, etc.

Good point Jonzee. The majority of the fishing will be on small rivers. Largely tree-ed in but some exposure to the wind. Maybe some stillwater fishing..but that would be secondary.

Mike

Dear coltranem,

If it were me I'd go with the Cortland, but that is only because I have been using Cortland fly lines for nearly 30 years and have never been disappointed by my choice.

You may want to check out Hook and Hackle.com. Prior to the end of the year they had their Hi-Floater line on sale for $ 28.00 if you took advantage of the internet ordering discount. As I understand it, the Hi-Floater is just a rebadged Cortland 444 peach line in an olive color. I have always been happy with the 444 peach lines I have owned.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

Ditto on the 444 Peach. I have WF in 5,6,7,9. They cast well and hold up for almost ever if properly cared for. There is a reason Cortland makes line cleaner. I must admit, all of my sink tip and full sink lines are SA. They too have perfomed well over the years. I guess it is just hard to change when what you have works so well. I have been lucky to try others brands and designs. I suppose it is like buying a car. Some like Fords and others like Chevies. (Toyota VS Nissan) In reality, no one makes a real bad car (Yugo excluded) just as no one really makes a bad flyline. All have the nitch. Good luck, Jonezee

If your gonna be fishing streams skip the Climax wind taper and get the 333. If you don't mind spending a little more $$ go with a 444.

If you live anywhere near Marlborough MA there is a fly fishing show there 1-20/1-21. Often times some good deals can be found at the show on last years stock.

Thanks for the help guys...Can anyone give me the scoop on the Cortland naming. 333Pro vs 333+ vs 333?

Mike

I'm a big fan of the 333 lines. I'd bet I have close to 20 of them.
    I have other lines including a few 444 peach, nymph tip, sl and lazer. The finish on these lines is a bit slicker, but IMO they fish no better then the 333.
    When the 333 line switched to more "modern" tapers two seasons ago I bought spares so that I wouldn't run out.
    I'm one cheap SOB, but for my money 333 is a good workhorse line.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

+ Reply to Thread