+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me spend my Christmas money...reel and waders needed

Default Help me spend my Christmas money...reel and waders needed

I have $300 to spend on fly gear and I need some breathable waders and a reel for an 7/8 wt. The reel will be on a new Dan Craft FT907-4 I'm building and will be for chasing red fish on the Texas coast. So the reel needs to perform in the salt.

I'm thinking Tioga magnum 8 for the reel, but I'd love to find a larger arbored reel just for the look. My eyes are bigger than my budget I'm afraid.

As for waders I'm at a complete loss. I've read so much about just about every brand, and there seems to be no consensus. Every brand has its lovers and its haters.

Would you try to buy both with the cash, or spend all $300 on one or the other and wait to save up for the other item?

Tyler

nighthawk Guest

If you are going to fish the salt I would opt for a good salt water reel. That will probably not leave much for the waders.

Default Re: Help me spend my Christmas money...reel and waders neede

Quote Originally Posted by tyler
    I have $300 to spend on fly gear and I need some breathable waders and a reel for an 7/8 wt. The reel will be on a new Dan Craft FT907-4 I'm building and will be for chasing red fish on the Texas coast. So the reel needs to perform in the salt.

I'm thinking Tioga magnum 8 for the reel, but I'd love to find a larger arbored reel just for the look. My eyes are bigger than my budget I'm afraid.

As for waders I'm at a complete loss. I've read so much about just about every brand, and there seems to be no consensus. Every brand has its lovers and its haters.

Would you try to buy both with the cash, or spend all $300 on one or the other and wait to save up for the other item?

Tyler
    I'll be as brief as possible.

#1, if you have another reel that will work on your new rod, why do you want to buy another one? You can only fish with one rod at a time unless you are bank or boat fishing. I have more rods than reels for this very reason.

#2, if your waders are in reasonably good condition and don't have any unrepairable leaks, you don't need new waders.

If your goal is to impress someone with your new stuff, just buy one of the items and show it off frequently to get lots of oooohs and aaaaaahs. If you want to maximize your cash, use it to take a trip or trips that the $300 will cover. If you're like most of us, we have more STUFF than we have time to use it, so I would use the money to take a trip or two. Maybe a fish-in near you. Fun, educational, and it gets you away from home for a few days with likeminded people.

I have no clue why I'm so windy today. I hope this doesn't become a habit.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Tyler - Here's a pretty cost consious option for you - from TCO Fly Shop (FAOL sponsor of course!). Orvis Battenkill Mid arbor IV $129, Orvis Endura waders $129, Orvis saltwater HY-Float line $45. The reel would come with the line and free backing already installed, and this would put you right at the magic $300 dollar mark ( actually a little more if you include shipping). Just an option to consider, but you'd look spiffy as well as having good quality equipment. TCO is my local shop, and they are some really nice folks to deal with.

Dear Tyler,

Buy a Scientific Angler's System 2 78L reel from Hook and Hackle, they were offering 20% off, and buy the Orvis waders where ever you can get them.

You can't beat a Scientific Angler's reel for the money.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

Thanks for the opinions so far guys. I'll take a harder look at the Orvis stuff. One variable I neglected to mention is that $100 of my money is in the form of a Cabela's gift card, and Cabela's, as I'm sure you know, doesn't carry Orvis.

Joe, I guess I'm not like most of you, but I own neither a reel that will work for a 7/8 rod nor any waders. (I am relatively new to fly fishing.) This will be my first pair of waders and my first salt water reel. That's why I am trying to squeeze both out of my money. I don't know what led you to believe I was buying unnecessary flash (OK, it is only recreational stuff), but on my salary and as the father of 5 kids, having $300 to myself is a huge luxury. I'm buying fishing gear, not collectibles. That doesn't mean, however, that I don't have preferences on what the stuff looks like. I do appreciate quality gear, and I am willing to save rather than being impatient. I do not want to regret my purchase because I was a tad too cheap and burned by poor quality.

Tyler

nighthawk Guest

Tyler,
    Cabela's may well have everything that you need. If you have a Cabela's near you a trip there is in order. At least they do have decent waders. Good Luck and let us know how you make out.

Cabelas has their CSR fly reel on sale right now for $75 at Cabelas.com. I don't have any experience with it but it has a sealed drag and large arbor, plus spare spools are only $40. I have never been disappointed with Cabelas customer service.
    Mike

Little Rock AR, wishing I was still in Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by mhedlund
    Cabelas has their CSR fly reel on sale right now for $75 at Cabelas.com. I don't have any experience with it but it has a sealed drag and large arbor, plus spare spools are only $40. Mike
    This reel is no good the drag is terrible for big fish IMO.

Tyler: As far as waders go. There are a lot of brands, styles, prices, etc. I would suggest that you sit down and reflect on what you are going to use the waders for and then go from there. After spending several hundred dollars in past years I found that the inexpensive rubber waders both hip and chest are a better value for the type of fishing and hunting I do. Perhaps you will determine that you don't really need those expensive ones afer all.

Tim Anderson

+ Reply to Thread