+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sinking Lines

Default Sinking Lines

Can anyone suggest a brand and model of sinking line? I will be fishing some medium to large sized freestone streams for trout that will be no deeper than 10 feet or so with big streamers, such as madonnas, zoo cougars, Kiwi Muddlers etc. I really have no idea what I need as far as full sinking, intermediate or whether I really need it all.

Sinking line is a totally foreign territory for me. This year I have been making a concerted effort to fish big streamers for big trout but I have been doing it with normal WF-F line. I have met some success, but I am starting to really see how a sinking line might really improve the way the fly is presented and swims etc.

DD,

If the water you're going to hit is only 10ft deep, you might want to consider a sinking tip line.

Full sink stuff works in lots of places, but if you are going to swing streamers, a ST line will help you keep some line control.

Streamers are fished very often on a swing. To get the right swing and speed, you NEED to mend the line. With a full sink, the only mend you can get is in the presentation of the line.

I don't use FSink lines anymore and I wasn't very good at it when I did so I'll let some of the Experts here chime in.

Any how, ... Some points to ponder

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:51ac1]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/[/url:51ac1]

[This message has been edited by fcch (edited 23 May 2005).]
    Christopher Chin

I like the integrated lines that incorporate a 24 to 30 foot sinking head and a floating running line. The floating running line facilitates mending and thus line control. These longer heads will get down deeper than a standard sink tip. I think the Teeny T series line is the original but Rio, S.A., Cortland, Airflo, and others produce similar lines.

These lines are usually rated in grains rather than a line weight and any one line will work on several rods. I use a Teeny T-130 on my 4,5, and 6wt rods. A Teeny T-200 is a nice line for 6-8 wt rods.

I haven't used them, but I know many anglers that really line the S.A. Streamer Express lines.

Also the Teeny Basic Sink lines which have a 20 foot sink tip and a good value at $35.

Depending on current speed and how you control your line, you can fish shallow or deep.

I have used clear and green intermediate lines with success on spring creeks but I find they don't sink fast enough for freestone and tailwaters.

+ Reply to Thread