+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Saltwater Guide Question

Default Saltwater Guide Question

I'm headed down South (Keys)in late Feb for Bonefish/Tarpon/Permit and am perplexed?

2 guides say that the permit and tarpon are so-so and Bonefishing is great and 2 guides say it's good for Permit/Tarpon as well as Bonefish? Not sure who to believe and also there are varying fish species calendars from many of the guides online as well??

TroutDawg

From the book: Flyfisher's Guide to the Florida Keys by Captain Ben Taylor, prime fishimg time for the big 3 are May & June, it's also saying the fish are available for catching in February. It just depends on the weather & water temperatures & the cold fronts that put the fish off the feed as to whether a guide can find waters warm enough to hold the fish to cast to.

Default Florida

Thanks and how is Port Charlotte, down there last Summer and had a blast...

TroutDawg

Summertime is snook on the beach time ! This time of the year there's the usual fly fishing, only snook season is closed as is sea trout, so it's catch & release. The redfish are around as are whiting & some 300+ other species as the temps have been about 80 for the last few days !

It all depends on the weather. The number and severity of cold fronts is what makes for poor, OK, good, great or outstanding fishing for the species you mention.

The Tarpon do not like the cooler water and are the first to escape the flats as the temps drop. So if a good cold front comes through and puts the chill on things it can kill the Tarpon fishing and make Permit fishing more difficult. Personally I have found that those cold front really fire up the Bonefish and some of my very best days have been right after a cold front with water temps in the low to mid 60's. You will not typically see numbers in those conditions but they are usually BIG fish.

If you luck out and it has been a while without a front with a good string of light wind, sun and temps in the 80's there will often be plenty of fish on the flats (Bones, Tarpon and Permit). I think it's good for the guides to be sure your expectations are not high as cold fronts are common in Feb so flats fishing can be down right terrible.

So book your trip (WITH A GREAT GUIDE) and hope that the weather is kind to you. Going in Feb. is a crap shoot and you just have to play the cards you are dealt. That being said, my very best days Bonefishing have been in February with good numbers and BIG, BIG fish.

Might see ya down there as I'll be there too : )

+ Reply to Thread