+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Fishing Buddies

Default New Fishing Buddies

I'm going to start a fly fishing club at the college where I teach. When I started spreading the word about that this week, I suddenly heard from people I hardly knew and have now learned that the director of the library, the tennis coach, and a couple of faculty members are fly fishers! You can bet one or three of the buildings and ground guys or secretaries, are too. Who knew? It's great to have something to talk to these folks about besides work.
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Diane,

You are hooked. Love your enthousiasm (like your web site too).

When I started looking for fish'in buddies here, I found that many if not most anglers (tackle) actually had fly rods, but never found the opportunity to actually use them.

Do a fish-in or practice casting together to get the group a bit consolidated. Plan simple outtings ... have a blast.

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    Christopher Chin

I'm a firm believer that there are a lot of fly anglers still in the "closet" and if it weren't for people like you, Diane, that's where they would remain. A few months ago we did a public tying and gained a father and son, plus a new guy in town who "didn't realize you could fly fish around here." At my Community Ed classes there seems to always be a surprise. Early after ice-out you can find a whole bunch of singlular fly fishers going for crappies and bluegill in the shallows, some wading, some in kayaks and the rest of us in canoes. They're out there. JGW

Yesterday I learned that the manager of the machine shop in the Civil Engineering labratory likes to fly fish. There's a plant pathology and entemology professor here that likes to fly fish too. A couple of the guys in my fraternity fly fish also. Who'd have thought that Oklahoma State University would be full of fluff chuckers. The thought of starting a club has always lingered in the back of my mind, I might try to make that dream a reality next year.

Diane,

Last year, a few of us here at Washington State University in Spokane got together weekly in the spring to swap a few lies. We did a noon time casting clinic (if you could call it that) out on the lawn. Most of the participants in the group were faculty and staff, but a couple of students showed some interest, too. Summer rolled around and a lot of the group went to other things, but we did take one trip to Lake Roosevelt (the Columbia River behind Grand Coulee Dam). Had a good time. I hope to get the gang together again this year, maybe with some more enthusiasm.

Bon Chance,

Jeff
    "If you don't loosen up that buckle on your heart and start to chuckle, your gonna die of boredom, Safety Joe" ~John Prine

That "lawn practice" reminds me... last year my spice and I took all our 6 wts out on the parkway in front of the house to feel the differences in casting. The area is well used by runners, walkers and dog-lovers. One such walked by and said "You know there aren't any fish in there, don't you?" To which my spice replied "Plenty of Grass Carp."

+ Reply to Thread