+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Hatch/Bite

Default Favorite Hatch/Bite

Had to put bite in there because I didn't know if hoppers counted. They hatch. Has to be my favorite. Nothing subtle about it. Crash the fly on the water, like I do most of the time anyway, and hold on. I could change the subject to Most Memorable Hopper Bite and I'm sure everyone would have one. 1985 Yellowstone/ Madison River(I think). Couldn't keep um off the fly no matter how bad I was casting, pretty windy. If I was wading I think they would have taken them off my vest.

I think the western Green Drake is my favorite hatch. Big fish love them. Got fish to 28 inches on them. I often like to fish the 7am morning hatch/spinner fall before others get on the water.

You can't beat Cicada's either though.

Pale Morning Duns - the fish seem to really like those bugs up here when they hatch.

Brian

------------------
    [url=http://bowcrow.tripod.com:12911]Bowcrow Fishing Adventures[/url:12911]

The eastern green drake...for which all I need is a Sulpher pattern sweems whenever that hatch is coming off the penns,so is the sulpher.and they'll be smash'in the sulpher every time....

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

I don't match the hatch (as sea run trout don't eat),

So I guess my FAV Hit would be when the bruisers are in a feeding frenzy in the late evening (we don't know why they suddenly "switch to feeding mode".

That's a nice time to tie on a Mouse, ... So I guess I like "Mouse hatches"

PS... JC, funny how one can refer to insects by their Artificial imitation, instead of their name eh

Sort of like a friend who once said "Tunkwa was just FULL of Giant Half Backs and the 'Bows were sippin' 'em just under the surface" I never DID find out what he was really referring to (SheTies, .. any ideas ?)

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:33661]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/[/url:33661]

[This message has been edited by fcch (edited 22 May 2005).]
    Christopher Chin

Sulphurs because I like the anxiety of having sometimes less than 30 minutes to get it right and Tricos because I like to fish the dinky stuff.

Flying ants. Everything comes up to eat them. On one local lake you may take 7 species on a dry fly during an ant hatch - largmouth bass, small mouth bass, trout, bluegill, crappie, golden shiner, channel catfish.

Tricos because the hatch lasts so long. I just love the tough fishing. And you can catch some very nice fish on them to. My best was a 24 3/4 inch brown on a #20 Trico. Now as far as I know the only way to have more fun than that is "not" on your feet. Ron

Dear JC,

Another vote for the Hendrickson, aka Ephemerella subvaria.

It's been a while since I hit a good hatch though.

I remember having to wade through a 6 foot wide patch of spent spinners in an eddy to get into position on the Lehigh River for the next days hatch.

Second place goes to rainy day Sulphurs. Rotunda's or Dorothea's it make no difference to me. Just make the day cool and rainy.

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

JC, ... It was more of a joke my reply.

Heck, ... I can't even name the fly in my box, let alone the insect it's supposed to imitate.

hats off to those of you that can understand the entomo enough to match the hatch.

last time I fished a river where the order of the day was to match, I had to go to a local, ask, then show him my flies so he could point out the flies he was naming. (at least I DID have a collection of flies suitable for the hatch that was on)

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:0f172]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/[/url:0f172]
    Christopher Chin

+ Reply to Thread