+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reel Recommendations

Default Reel Recommendations

Hi,
    I just purchased a new 4wt fly rod. I am looking to pair it up with a reel. I plan on doing lots on small stream trouting and maybe some panfishing with this rod. I am really looking for something inexpensive...I am leaning towards the simple Okuma's like the sierra or carina...Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks,
    Mike

Pflueger 1494, used on the board for sale here. It will pop up. Get a reel made in Toledo. You won't be disapointed. Plan to spend $35.00to $49.00. You will be cool and happy at the same tiem. If you don't iike it, you can always get yor money back.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Default Reels

I use mostly Scientific Anglers System One, and Two. I've always been reely (sic) happy with them. In also have an Ocuma, but I like the S. A.s better.

I've been fishing nothing but a 4 wt for a while now and have a small, simple click pawl reel. I'm not convinced it's any better (or worse) than many other similar reels of varying prices. I'd recommend taking a look in person at several. This is what I did and probably would have made a different choice if i hadn't, but in person it was obvious which reel had the best fit and finish in my price range ($50 and under). You don't need much from your reel for a light rod like this so just find the one that you like best (color, looks, sound, balances your rod best).
    Also don't discount the click-pawl, I came VERY close to landing an unexpected 36"-ish pike on this setup. Unfortunately I had just been fishing midges and was too lazy to change to a heavier tippet when switching over to a streamer. I got a good look at him and he at me before he made a dive into some half submurged bushes and broke me off. But the reel was up to the challenge, even if the tippet (and myself) were not.

For under a hundred bucks you can get this.
    Orvis' Battenkill disc drag
    http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choi ... %5Fid=0385

Or at a hundred bucks- Orvis' Battenkill Bar Stock
    http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choi ... %5Fid=44KY

You can't go wrong with either.

RTJ

I've got one of the earlier Okuma reels on my little three weight, it works just fine.

Thunderthumbs.

coltranem,
    You said small streams, so I don't imagine you would play the fish off of the reel too often. I have an Okuma Sierra 5/6. The drag on the Okumas are very touchy, either on or off basically, and there is nothing internal that keeps the setting in the same place. They are good for holding your line and for 25-35 bucks that is what you get. I would consider the SA first.

I lean towards the Pflueger Medalist reels. They are simple, reliable, easy to maintain, and inexpensive. I use them on my 2, 3, and 6 weight Templefork rods.

They can be set up for either right or left hand use.

Thats my 2 cents.

coltranem,
    You said small streams, so I don't imagine you would play the fish off of the reel too often. I have an Okuma Sierra 5/6. The drag on the Okumas are very touchy, either on or off basically, and there is nothing internal that keeps the setting in the same place. They are good for holding your line and for 25-35 bucks that is what you get. I would consider the SA first.
    I would second the comments about the Okuma Sierra drag. I'd rather have a click and pawl reel, rather than deal with the Sierra's drag. IMO, The Battenkill, or SA reel is a much better choice.

briansII

Thanks for the replies everyone...What size Medalist is right for this application...How much backing do I really need?

Mike

+ Reply to Thread