+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have this sinking sensation.... (sinking lines!)

Default I have this sinking sensation.... (sinking lines!)

Well, it's been a while since I've asked for advice here - the search button seems to have all the answers lately, but there isn't a whole lot on sinking lines, except for one thread in the warmwater forum. Here goes. I'm ashamed to say that despite my years of trout fishing experience on still and moving waters, until recent years, I have neglected the pleasure and utility of the streamer for catching trout in lakes and deep water. This past summer I did some streamer fishing near my home in Colorado, and had quite a fun time; it was a nice break from my usual fishing fare. I also did some carp fishing (not that you need a sinking line for that) and had a blast, catching a 'golden bonefish' on my first afternoon of attempts. To make a long story short, I've resolved to do a lot more streamer fishing in the new year, and am looking for the right line to do the job. I've been using lead (either on the hook or the leader) and to be honest, at any given time I really don't know where my fly is in the water column - I just hope for the best. It's time to look into sinking lines. Since I know it's great to toss up a lot of information when asking for advice like this, here are the facts.

1. I need a line that will allow me to fish streamers in still waters 10-30 (or maybe more) feet deep, and a line that will allow my nymphs and streamers to sink quickly in fast moving water. Hopefully this is the same line and I don't have to buy two. I fish for trout mostly, if that makes a difference.

2. Casting well is sort of a priority - for the lakes I am fishing, I need to be able to make longish casts, say 70 feet or so, so if a line casts like a complete pig, then it probably isn't for me. I would also like to point out that when a line casts like a pig it's usually my fault, but I really know nothing about the casting properties of sinking lines, so if some of them are exceptionally difficult to cast, then I should probably stay away from those lines.

3. I need a line for a 6-weight fast action rod. I notice that some lines are rated for both 5 and 6 weights, and really don't know what to think about that.

I understand the difference between full sinking and sink tip lines, in terms of keeping the fly in the sweet spot longer during the retrieve. Also note that this line will be on a second rod on my outings, so there is no need to try to do everything - I just want a setup that sinks quickly, casts better than my floating line with a ton of splitshot on it. I've been looking at the line options on Cabelas.com, and there are more than a few. What I'd love to have from you fine folks is your opinions on full-sinking vs. sink-tip line, given the kind of fishing I do, and maybe some specific advice on brands and products.

Anyway, enjoy the rest of the holiday season, all, and accept my wishes of many days and nights of enjoyable and productive fishing in the new year!

~JW

Sinking lines are terrible to cast - you don't ever really cast them, it's more 'chuck and duck'. Fishing lakes however, can require their use - and if you are in a float tube or boat you can play the line out until it catches on bottom and then either reel some in so it isn't snagging or row/paddle faster. Check out the Stillwater/Lakes section here on FAOL (listed under FEATURES) - you will find some articles on use of different lines.

I second the fact that sinking lines do not cast like floating lines, but with enough patience and practice it can be accomplished. Simply put, you are asking for miracles from fly lines. The best possible answer I can give is to go with a shooting head. The shooting head loads the rod and the thin running line zips out of the guides when the energy is released. These types of systems will surprise you on far they will cast if done properly. A shooting head that sinks will go down fast and will keep any fly down deep on a fast moving river.
    Rio and Teeny line companies make the best shooting head in all types of arrangements. A word of warning though, try them out first before any money is exchanged, it is not that they are difficult to cast, they are just an aquired taste. Hope this helps.

One thing that I didn't note in my post is that I am shorebound - no boat or tube - and that is why I need a line that I can cast decently. Also, to make matters worse, a lot of the lakes I fish have wide, shallow shelves near the shore, and I need to put the fly way out in the lake, off the edges of these shelves.

I think this probably falls under the 'common sense' category of knowledge, but am I right in assuming that a sink-tip line generally casts better than a full sinking line? And does anyone have experience with the specialty streamer lines, which are sink-tip? It looks like Rio and SA both make a specially-designed streamer line. Are these any good, or just another attempt to get my Christmas money out of my sweaty hand?

LF: Thanks for the heads-up as always. Looks like I missed the G. LaFontaine article on stillwater equipment, and I just read all three parts and found it helpful. Since you changed over to the new forums, the forum search function doesn't search the articles on the site, which makes sense, but I am still used to the old forum! Anyway, thanks for the pointer - some great stuff in there.

Blog Entries

I use an SA floating line with a 10 ft sinking tip and wade the shoreline at dusk and dawn for large trout cruising the shoal areas of the lake. It casts easily and I find that I don't really need a cast over say 50-60 feet. That said I got frustrated with shore fishing and got a boat. I feel your pain though. Is a belly boat or toon out of the question?
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

I don't remember which sinking line I use (sorry), but I don't have any problems casting it as far or farther than my floating line. It will take a little more practice to get use to it, but you'll find that the weight of the sinking line will zing out through your guides like nothing. I usually have to perform a roll cast to get the line up the the surface before I can pick it up to cast.

When I was down in Mexico last Feb. I was casting heavily weighted clousers a good 80ft. with my sinking line.

Tigh lines,

Thunderthumbs.

I bought a sink tip on suggestion from someone and didn't try it until I was on the water. I hated it and still hate sink tips till this day. I only use them when fishing streamers on rivers. I prefer full sinking lines because the weight evenly throughout the line and only feels heavier. A sink tip front section must be in the proper place or will feel like trying to cast a tow rope. Go with a full sinking line regardless of being in a floatation device or being shore bound because you will cast better with practice no matter what you are fishing with.

If you are fishing from shore, this simplifies things. Sink tips will work but the ideal line is a full sinking intermediate line. Anything that sinks faster than an intermediate will get stuck on the bottom or in the weeds near your feet as you retrieve it. From a boat or tube, faster sinking lines are my choice. Most companies make an intermediate - Cortland Clear Camo is very popular line for this. Sink tips are best suited for rivers, in my opinion, because they can be mended somewhat.

Alright, that simplifies things a little bit.. maybe an intermediate sinking line is for me, since all of my fishing will be from shore or from the shallows. Thanks for the good advice... now I just need a time machine to bring me to summer! So much ice and snow!

JBW

Jordan, I second the intermediate line if most of the fishing is in the shallows. In your original post you said 10-30 feet is where you would be fishing in your lakes. Intermediate lines sink very slowly. Not even two inches per second. That is a long time to wait if the fish are at 15 feet. I have the Cortland's Camo and use it for 75% of my stillwater fishing, amazing stuff.
    I know I haven't been that much help, I keep giving you different answers, I just don't want to give you a wrong answer.

+ Reply to Thread