+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Battenkill Reel

Default Battenkill Reel

i got a new Battenkill Mid-Arbour Titanium reel for christmas,,, only its for a 9-10 weight rod/ line, and my rod is a six weight (though handles like a seven weight) is it worth the hassle to take it back??

Nice gift. I like reels of that size (dimensions) on my 6 and 7 wt rods because I like the advantage in line pickup that a larger diameter reel gives. The two 3.75" reels that I use are heavier than the Battenkill MA, but I am quite comfortable using them on my 6wt rods. My typical usage is saltwater, LM bass, and stillwater trout. If you keep the reel and don't want to have to put a ton of backing on it, go with 30lb dacron instead of 20lb. If you search around, you will find reels of similar dimensions listed as 5-6 wt reels by their manufacturers.

Based on my preferences, reel will work for me on a 6wt. You have to decide if it will work for you.

It's never been a hassle for me to trade with the local Orvis dealer. Take it in and see if they'll do it.

wayne
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

It should be no hassle at all to take it back, particularly if you take it to an Orvis store. As long as you have the receipt, you can probably take it to any Orvis store.

Perhaps you could ignore the specs and stats. Put a line on it and put it on your rod and cast it. If you like it, keep it, if not....go trade it out. Only you know if you will like it on your rod or not.

Gemrod

RL, first things first, Orvis's policy is the customer is always right. If it is in the box and you haven't used it (new in otherwords) they will trade you and credit you the $10. difference*, or ask them to put backing on for the difference.
    Now that is assuming you went for the *III which is what I have for my six weight.
    The III is 1/2" diameter small than the V which I am assuming you have and .8oz. lighter.
    The IV is the same prce and made for 7-8 lines. It is a 1/4" smaller diameter and .4oz. lighter.
    The Mid-Arbor is a little heavier reel but, it is strong as heck.
    They also have a live on line question and answer section if you go to Orvis and customer service.
    Good luck.
    FG

In my expierence Orvis will exchange it with no problem. The mid arbors are nice reels, but I would consider swapping it for a Battenkill large arbor.

I would return it. I like my reels as light as possible. That is one of the reasons that I like my Evos.

But, it does gives you a great reason to buy a 8-9 wt rod if you want to chase salmon & metalheads.

+ Reply to Thread