+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Scariest Fishing Experience

Hey Alaska Dean,

I laughed for about five minutes when I read your line about your friend thinking it might be exciting to grunt like a moose!

Anyway, last summer, on a small river here on the southern plains, striper fishing...I get to the river to meet my guide and I'm pleasantly surprised to see the river high and flowing fast. So many other trips we've been confronted with low water and little to no current, and slow fishing.

Well, we get in the boat and although I'm fly fishing, my "guide" makes for his bait tanks, which he keeps in the river. The current is flowing so fast that it's all we can do to pull up and take a dozen or so baitfish out of the tank. We're slightly out of the current, near a tributary mouth, and I'm holding onto the tree limbs trying to steady the boat so this guy can get his baitfish.

We get them and head off. We pass areas that I've previously wade fished and the water is so high they are barely recognizable.

We arrive at the fishing spot, pull into a calm pocket off the side and throw out the anchor. We are three feet or so off the fast-moving current, in some slower, murky water of unknown depth. I start casting and then a few moments later I notice a hot-water heater floating down the river at a rapid pace. In fact, the water appears to be moving faster and faster. It's up into the trees now. There is all sorts of debris coming down the river and I can barely keep my fly down in the strike zone long enough to get a three-second drift through the productive areas.

No luck and we pull anchor and motor off. We come to another area where he throws out the anchor, only the anchor rope breaks due to the pressure of the current pushing against the boat and we start drifting downstream, and out into the main current. I grab some treelimbs and hold on tight, while he starts the engine. Except, he motors back to where we'd been and tells me to hold the throttle while he tries to fish out his lost anchor!!!!

This is supposed to be a full-day trip and we're barely two hours into the day when I tell him to take me back to the ramp, that I have a family to think about and that I really don't want to catch a striper that bad.

On the way back he tells me we're screwed if we should hit something and break our prop, the current is so fast and strong that we wouldn't be able to guide ourselves and we'd be at the mercy of the current.

Somehow we made it back and I've not fished with that "guide" since, nor will I ever. I was foolish to go out on the river, but he was absolutely crazy to have not called off the trip due to the conditions. Never have I felt so helpless and terrified while on the water.

Fred S.

sheesh where do I start?Leopards?Crocodiles?Buffalo?The funniest(in hindsight)was the crocodile sized monitor lizzard that run,submerged,through the shallow riffle I was wading across.I could hear splashing and rolling rocks but couldn't see what to run from and therefore where to run to.I stood still(frozen actually)trying to anticipate the still unseen creatures next move.I nearly wept with relief when I saw the pretty harmless,though HUGE lizzard climb the far bank.If that had been a croc I'd have been toast!

Adam, I'd love to hear about the leopard...

Fred

One sunny afternoon I went down the field toward the wee stream. keeping low so I could not see the river I crept through the hole I had made years before in the fence, perfect, soundless, no fish would know I was coming.. creeping like a vole, I slid through the reeds and took a look at the pool. Suddenly the sky darkened and the most horrific raucous scream issued from three feet away as the heron which had been fishing there took off for lonelier places.
    I did check my pants but I was OK.

then...

a couple of weeks later I was fishing the same hole, having arrived via the same route. the trout were obliging, I had returned a half dozen, when I realised that I was not alone. I stood stock still.
    Averting my gaze from the trout, just for once, I realised my old pal Mr. Heron was just alighting beside me. I remained still and he landed about five feet away and started studying the current. This was too good to be true
    I turned round and screamed 'I was here first'
    The heron was stunned, stood staring at me for a good second, then evacuated and left screaming.
    I never saw him again, not even a feather.

Scared the bejaysis outa me first time though. Well I was only about thirteen at the time, ok!

Roy

Roy, that's the funniest thing I've read in a long, long time. That is classic!

JB

John,
    the hairs stand up on my neck every time I laugh about it,

thanks
    Roy

Well my story holds far less peril than the tales most of you have told. As a matter of fact, if I didn't know myself better I would say that I would qualify as a yellow bellied chicken. Anyway, I was fishing a favorite pool of mine with a very close friend, we were fishing and chatting for a couple of hours side by side and before I knew it it was pretty dark out. However, as is usually the case, the rises were increasing in intensity as darkness fell so we fished on, growing more and more silent as it took all of our concentration to try and spot our flies on the dark water. All of a sudden I felt something bump into me and start crawling up my leg. My reaction was that of an 8 year old girl spotting a nasty spider in her bed, I began to splash around and brandish my 4 wt rod like a sword. By buddy had no idea what the heck was going on, so he just stared at me. It took me a minute to realize that I just had a close encounter with a muskrat, I see them in that pool almost every time I fish there and I guess I was standing so still for so long he figured I was something he should climb over. My pal still gets a big kick out of that story.

[This message has been edited by parachutteadams (edited 18 May 2005).]

[This message has been edited by parachutteadams (edited 18 May 2005).]

this is a great thread! one time i was fishing the surf very early in the morn, like 5 am, and not 15 feet in front of me a seal popped his head up. I jumped a mile, thought it was the creature from the black lagoon or something.

I was about 13 and fishing by myself at a state park we were camping in. I was using a fly rod with bait at the mouth of a stream and decided to take a short-cut back to the camper. As I rounded the corner, there was a large section of decaying leaves covering the ground, I started to walk accros when I fell through the leaves up to my chest. It felt as if my feet were still not toucking the bottom, I managed to get out and noticed I was wet from my chest down. Turns out the leaves collected there during the winter and as the lake receded in the summer it left this big "pile" with holes in it. Went up to my waist at least once or twice as I made my way back to the hard land. I'm always leary of big areas of fallen leaves near a body of water now.

------------------
    Brad
    "Work like you don't need the money;
    Love like you've never been hurt; and
    Dance like no one's watching!"

Lamar River
    Yellowstone NP
    Trekking in our group sees a Grizzly across the river --- running
    We split up
    I go up a steep embankment to be able to folow the river. My nose is down I am going up a very steep incline and
    "BRIGHT (from berries) RED steaming scat rolls down the incline I am trying to climb
    Thank goodness, I was armed with a 6#
    2Fly

+ Reply to Thread