+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Albright A5 opinion?

Default Albright A5 opinion?

Hi,

Just a quick question ... the good folks at Yellowstone Angler just did a very detailed review of 5-weight rods ... and the Albright A5 did remarkably well.

I'd post the link to that particular page, but it's so long that my IE6 browser e-mail just kinda gags.

Fortunately, it's not hard to find from their home-page.

I haven't been able to find any other evaluative/non-commercial comments about the rod, but it looks like one I'd like to buy. The guys/gals at YA were very straight-up ... answering personally via e-mail in detail why one possible rod (which I asked about) wasn't included in the comparo.

Does anybody have an A5, or know anybody who owns one? Just lookin' for a second opinion ...

Ron

I wouldn't put too much stock in the shootout. I think there was bit of bias in it.

Ronnie,,,, Albright used to be a sponsor on here. The rods will do what you expect of them. I am sure they are just fine. Pick one you like.

Normand Guest

I wouldnt rush to buy one based on an article on the internet. YOU have to find a shop that carries that rod and YOU have to give it a cast for yourself. YOU just might not like it after trying one out.

Default Trying it first ...

Hi Normand,

I do realize that "trying it first" is the best-case scenario but (like many others) I live in an area that doesn't provide that option.

I can order one from Feathercraft (good rep and reasonable shipping) but I'd just like to get some third-party comments.

Ron

I guess I was just trying to say that I know the company, I know Jim Murphy, I have cast many of their rods, I wouldn't have had them as a sponsor if there was any proplem that I knew of with either the company or any of their products. Chances are, if you think you will like one of their rods, you probably will. The guarantee is a good one too.

my only experience is with the GP. It is not the same as the A5. However, liking the GP as I do I would not hesitate to buy the A5.

Default Albrights

Ronnie - I can recommend the A-5, at least 7'6"4wt. I also like the GP's - these models ffish well and cast very smoothly.

When Albright was a sponsor here, I mentioned them to my cane consultant. He commented that he and Ed Jaworowski were at Eyler's in Bryn Mawr, and Eyler's had brought in several of the rods. Knowing my tastes, they thought I would like the 7'6".

I dashed over to Eyler's, getting there before my consultant showed up. Since it was chilly outside and getting colder by the minute, I asked Tom and Alice if they still had the 7'6", and they pointed me to the GP 3/4. I went out and casted it, and liked it.

Looking further, I saw another GP, an 8' "5/6". I preferred it with a 4wt, and since that's a great size for PA streams, I added that to the growing pile.

When my consultant finally showed up, I pointed to my pair of sticks, and he said it was actually the A-5 7'6"4wt that he and Ed thought I would like. They were right.

These 3 all do slightly different things, but they are a poor man's Winston (my fave production rod company, in cane, glass and green plastic - but several times pricier). These series have a subtle but powerful and responsive action.

tl
    les

Default Merci !!

Hi Les,

Many thanks for sitting down and tapping-out those thoughts ... the kind of third-party info that I was looking for.

Looks like a run down to North Dakota might be in order!

Ron

+ Reply to Thread