+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scratched Rod

Default Scratched Rod

I somehow managed to get some kind of abrasive material into the padding on my rod turning stand. As my rod was turning to dry finished wraps the surface of the shaft became scratched. There are a series of about a dozen scratches within about 1/4 inch, deep enough to be quite visible. Any suggestions how to restore the glossy finish to my G. Loomis blank?

That is a BIG opps. Where on the blank are the scratches? May cause it to break, really.

Where is definitely the issue ... is it somewhere that you could add a decorative wrap? That would be the preferable way to "repair" the error.

If the scratches are in an area where a wrap won't get it done ... consider doing a color touch up and then covering with Permagloss.

The good news is the G Loomis "Expeditor" warranty. At least if it does break, you can get a replacement blank for $50.00. The fee DOES cover shipping both ways as well.

Default Scratched Rod

The good news is that the scratches are quite shallow and appear to be only on the surface of the finish. I'm hoping that means it won't weaken the rod. It's about 3/4 of the way from the grip to first stripping guide so my best idea is to put my signature section that far up the rod so it can be covered with wrapping. It's just a little more forward than I like for that. Other good news: I'm making the rod for myself so even if I leave the scratches I'm the only one they really bother.

Just one of those things I wish I could blame on someone else. I put some padding on my drying stand in order to not have to wrap my rods with tape, etc, to prevent damage while turning. It has worked for several years but somehow it seems I got a piece of sand or something lodged on the padding. I'm sure there is someone to blame, I just need to use a little imagination to identify the guilty party.

i would try to lightly spray some acetone on the scratches. the solvent my dissolve the crear coat and blend it so it is not seen.

I would try some of the auto finish buffing compounds used to remove paint defects and swirl marks on auto paint finishes. Available at most auto parts stores.

The 'mirror glaze' company makes a product line with several grit levels for producing a very high luster finish. I have used this for polishing cane rods with spar varnish and on graphite rods with a ureathane finish. Just rub it on with a soft cotton cloth and apply plenty of elbow grease. The version I use for a soft satin finish is 'fine-cut cleaner #2', the 'swirl remover #9' is recomended for a high gloss shine.

I made some liners for my rod turner stand out of plastic milk jug material or felt. I just cut 1/2" wide strips of the material and applied them to the notches with double stick tape. I found the felt had a habit of collecting dirt, the plastic strip is easier to clean or replace as needed.

Default Re: Scratched Rod

The good news is that the scratches are quite shallow and appear to be only on the surface of the finish. I'm hoping that means it won't weaken the rod. It's about 3/4 of the way from the grip to first stripping guide so my best idea is to put my signature section that far up the rod so it can be covered with wrapping. It's just a little more forward than I like for that. Other good news: I'm making the rod for myself so even if I leave the scratches I'm the only one they really bother.

Just one of those things I wish I could blame on someone else. I put some padding on my drying stand in order to not have to wrap my rods with tape, etc, to prevent damage while turning. It has worked for several years but somehow it seems I got a piece of sand or something lodged on the padding. I'm sure there is someone to blame, I just need to use a little imagination to identify the guilty party.
    Barrys- how many inches from the end of the butt section? Put an inch marker there, if it's not in your regular sig section.

RTJ

Default Scratched Rod

Thanks for all the suggestions. kengore's rubbing compound suggestion prompted me to put on my woodworing hat. I solved my problem with a woodworking technique. I first rubbed the scratched area with pumice and oil to remove the scratches, then rottenstone and oil to restore the smooth finish. Some good wax and I can still find the flaw but only because I know exactly where to look. Pumice and rottenstone are super fine abrasive powders woodworkers mix with light oil to produce a fine furniture finish. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Wrap some tape on the blank where it rides next time and all will right with the world. Better to avoid than correct. Glad this worked out ok for you.

Mike

+ Reply to Thread