+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home or Away?

Default Home or Away?

As a new kid on the block so to speak I was just wondering if all you US flyfishers venture further afield for your sport, now I know that some of you fellas could drive for ten hours and still be in the same state!, but have any of you ventured to the UK or Europe?, I have fished in Poland, Slovenia and Italy all very different in their approach to fishing, Slovenia and Italy very C&R orientated, Poland everything in the river was edible by somebody or something!. Can really recommend Slovenia, pristine rivers (Soca and Sava Bohinka), wild rainbows and browns some well into double figures, HUGE grayling plus cheap to fish and stay, so you never know may see you on the banks this September.

Richie,
    Most fishing trips for me were less than 100 miles (DAY Trips)
    Vacation Trips up to 1,000 miles.
    I've heard eastern Russia has great fishing, except very remote.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

95% of my fishing is 5 minutes from my home. I am fortunate to live within sight of Lake Erie and take full advantage of our awesome fishing.

That said, I was fortunate to be able to travel New York, mostly Northeast of Buffalo. The fly rod was always in the car and I usually can incorporate fishing into my schedule. I used to spend a week in Lake Placid and fish the Ausable River each day. I also spent a week in Plattsburgh and fished Lake Champlain.

I've changed jobs and that has decreased my fishing in the Adirondacks.

I make 2 yearly trips to Canada to fish for pike/muskie/bass and am happy to spend time on the Georgian bay. One of those trips is a family trip and I spend a week fishing with my daughters. The other trip I spend with my brother, uncle, bro in law and nephews. That is an awesome trip as well.

I'm eligible to retire in just over 2 years, at the age of 45. I will probably add 2 more trips to Canada if I decide to retire and more trips to the Adirondacks to fish. I also plan to fish in Alaska.

...So many fish, so little time...
    There's no sense in being dumb unless you get to show it off once in a while...

Blog Entries

I have fished as far away as Canada , the US lower 48 and Alaska. Where are you from?
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Ritchie,

I have fished all over the US, Mexico, South Africa (my country of birth), and have travelled to France and Italy. I did some spear fishing when I was in France, but no other fishing.

I will say this, that from now on, I'll have at least one fly rod with me on all my travels, just in case. Our next family vacation will be to Scotland, and you can bet your bottom dollar that I'll be doing some fly fishing when I'm there.

All the best,

Thunderthumbs.

P.S. If you ever find yourself in the Kansas City area (middle of the US), let me know, I'll take you on a little day/weekend trip you won't soon forget.

Little Rock AR, wishing I was still in Anchorage, AK

I am luck enough to have within 100mile raduis of me some fantastic rainbow, dollie, Grayling and all 5 pacific salmon species.
    so I dont have to travel far.
    But every year tons of people come to fish in my back yard

R, ...

First off, ... a Warm Welcome to you. Hope you stay for a while.

Me, ... I don't venture too much. A person of habit and creatre conforts, I only fish one river. Then again, ... I hace wet a line in some nice places ... I just don't have time to plan and go trotting off to some of the wonderful places there are to explore.
    Christopher Chin

Thanks for all your replies, very interesting, can I ask you all is any of the fishing in the US privately owned or if you purchase a state license (like I did in Maryland) can you fish just about anywhere?, here in the UK virtually all rivers and lakes are privately owned either by clubs or by private landowners so even though each year I have to buy a license to carry a rod, it does not give me the right to fish, I must buy a day ticket or join a club, also would it be a good idea for you guys to have a national licence so that if you lived in Nebraska say and wanted to fish in California you did not have to buy a state ticket when you arrived?, does the price very greatly too?,do good fishing states charge more than lesser ones ?(I have only fished in one so I am in the dark)I hope I have not opened a can of worms with this thread, which on a fly-fishing web site would be sacrilage.

Richie,
    We have a lot of public fishing water in Oregon. The Columbia river near here, is possibly the biggest river in the western U.S. There are sturgeon at the bottom of the Columbia that are TEN feet long!
    Still researching a sturgeon fly.
    I believe the Columbia originates in Canada and flows south through Washington, turns west and separates Oregon and Washington, all the way to the Pacific Ocean. Salmon, Steelhead, Walleye, Smallmouth Bass, Largemouth Bass, Catfish, Crappie, Bluegill and the ever popular Sea Lions inhabit the Columbia.
    We have many trout lakes and rivers that have public access. Our trout season runs from the end of April to the end of October. Salmon and Steelhead are year round. Oregon has state run fish hatcheries that grow thousands of Salmon and Trout. Our license fees finance the hatcheries.
    To protect our wild Salmon, only hatchery Salmon may be kept.
    Could we have a National License? Could a cow jump over the moon?
    I would be surprised if you could find TWO states that would agree.
    If I visit another state to fish, I have the option of a day use license or non resident 12 month license.
    Search the Internet for the Deschutes River in Central Oregon (Great Trout River)
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

I take it form your post that you are one of our southern cousins ritchie (do to the fact you need a rod licence), you don't mention if you have ever fished "north of the border" where there is some great wild brown fishing available for less than ?10 per day, not to mention grayling on the Tay for about ?6 a day off season.

+ Reply to Thread