+ Reply to Thread

Thread: St. Croix Premium Outfits

Default St. Croix Premium Outfits

Anyone who has owned one to comment on them or who purchased the Premium series of rods outside of the outfit? Are they good for the beginner trying to get his/her fly "wet", so to speak?

I was hoping that someone with experience with one of either the outfits or one of the rods could post their thoughts and experiences. Seems like a good deal for someone starting out and starting to learn.

I'd use it more often fishing rivers and streams for trout and panfish, however, occassionally I'd probably use it on lakes.

Anyone use one of the SC Premiums in these types of waters and can give feedback?

Gandalf

I own two St Croix rods. One of them is the Pro Graphite which was the predecssor to the Premier. While I have not fished the Premier, I have cast it and was impressed. The model I cast was an 8 1/2' 5wt 4 pc. When casting, it felt as if the action was a tad faster than my SCPG. Compared to the two, I would rate the Premier as more of a mod/fast action.

If you are looking for a good starter rod that will last you for quite some time, I don't think you could go wrong. St Croix has a fine reputation and makes a good product. I am sorry that I have no time on the water with one.

My rod was a gift from my wife and came as an outfit with reel and line. The reel was a click and pawl grapghite reel(their name but made in England) and the line was RIO Classic. I have no complaints with either one.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Gandalf

I Have 2 of there rods. I was given a Pro Graphite as a starter rod 6 years ago. I als have a Legand Ultra in a 6wt. I use both of them here on the North Umpqua and in the salt. The legand is a much faster rod and works well in the wind a a big fly.

I do like both of them for the river lakes and salt
    You can not go wrong with the ST CROIX line. They are very fine rods.
    E Mail if you would like.

------------------
    David L
    Umpqua Valley Fly Fishers
    umpquavalflyfish@yahoo.com
    "Don't mess with the Mule, just load the wagon"
    David L
    Roseburg Or.

Thanks for the responses Anglerdave and Dave L. I saw the other thread in regard to beginner kits and the responses there as well. I figured that the SC kit may be the better way to go, than the SA kit, as it may not be something I have to upgrade so soon, however, after reading the other thread, I shall give serious consideration to the SA as well. I understand that St. Croix has a good name for a reason, I was just wondering about their FF starter kits as it seems like a pretty good deal if you don't outgrow it "too fast" (I guess I'd define that as 1/2 to almost 1 summer of use).

Paul

Gandalf

I think you would be satisfied with either the SA or St Croix combo. I swapped reels on my St Croix rod only because I had another reel that would balance with it and I wanted to use that reel on a 3wt rod that had been givn to me. Had it not been for that reason I would not have separated the reel that came with the rod.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Gandalf,
    I started with and still use my pro-graphite. I matched it to an Orvis clearwater III with a Rio WF floating line. Very basic and very effective. Medium action and very easy to feel it load up on the back cast. I couldn't have done better. I may get into some hot water here but I don't believe you can "out-grow" a rod. From my limited time spent with the fly I have found that certain rods/actions work best with certain situations. When you get out with your new rod and get to know it you will find out what it can and can't do. Your next purchase will fill that gap. Eventually you will have more rods than you know what to do with...as if that is possible. Anyway, hope that helps. Good fishing!
    Eric

+ Reply to Thread