+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone fishing the Kings River

Default Anyone fishing the Kings River

I might be moving back home after a 4 year jaunt in the Midwest. Sooo with that said the Kings River is my home water. Ive been keeping up with all the restoration work thats being done along with the stocking of some serious sized trout (measure in pounds).

Has anyone been fishing the upper or lower sections. My favorite upper section is Yucca Trail around 10 Mile Creek. My favorite lower section can be anywhere from the dam on down stream to Avocado Lake.

Thanks for any info,
    Seege

Default Kings River

I haven't fished the Kings River in a while but I did take a drive up there last Friday just to get away for a while. I saw the fish and game truck stocking the river near Winton Park. The section where they were stocking was very crowded. I also took a drive behind Avacado Lake and saw one guy there fly fishing ~~ they were just getting ready to dredge the river there so I didn't stick around. If you move back to the area let me know and we'll get together and fish.

Rev,

I will have to take you up on that, maybe you can show me some of your favorite spots and me the like. It really doesnt have to be the Kings River either have you ever fished Black Rock Resevoir area?

I love that place!!! My last trip there in Oct. brought several fish over 15 inches. Also when fishing the resevoir last year when you guys were having the major water distribution from mother nature I fished there. Alot of fish were taken caught just from the shore and the mouth of the feeder creek by the N.E. side.

Thanks,
    Seege

The Kings river has trout? I thought it was a warm water fishery.

Dan

Dan,

Ive heard you can catch trout all the way to Lemoore, CA if the flows are just right. But I think you are mistaking our California river for a souther river. I know that when I googled the Kings River another named the same popped up in the south.

Seege

Fireman, I live in Lemoore Ca. The flow would have to be absolutely perfect for trout to get this far. I don't think they are much past Riverland in Kingsburg. Welcome back to Valley.

It's been a while since I've visited FAOL. It's really been upgraded! Kudos.

I live about a half hour from the lower Kings, and fish it regularly.

Last year, the DFG stocked rainbows about 20" in the river. I discovered sometime around February that the way to catch them was with large streamers, fished deep.

Some of those fish survived the summer and grew. There were some big fish in the river this fall before the winter plant, but they weren't easy to catch.

When I heard that they had again planted the river, I planted myself in several spots with big streamers and a sinking line. I got skunked.

The trout seem to be rising to itty bitty BWOs late in the afternoon. I've had some success, but it isn't easy. Landing a big trout on a #20 and 7x tippit isn't easy either.

Bottom line: The fish are there, the flows are staying up over 250 (as opposed to the 100 we used to get), and there are now a whole lot of boulders in the water to improve habitat. If you're looking for some action, the lower is the place to go right now, but don't expect the fish to be pushovers.

John,

I really dont know how this happens and its really funny that I am 2800 miles away and we have something in common. I was born and raised in Selma, CA. In fact that is where I might be headed back to if all goes well with the new job hiring.

As far as streamers, I love them and they are my favorite tactic for the fish back here. Ive had to adjust since moving back to the midwest. Ive love sink tip lines and unweighted flies on the smaller rivers back here. Trout are not in every locale like they were out west. In fact I very rarely fish for them anymore since moving. My main target species is small mouth and they are a blast in the rivers back here. I do miss my high mountain streams and the like. Especially miss being 30-45 minutes from the river and the short drive to Sequoia National Park.

If you read this give me an email or PM and we can talk. I will definately be looking to head to the river when an if I get back. Seege613@aol.com

Seege

I forgot to ask what type of streamers you were fishing and set up if you dont mind.

Thanks,
    Seege

+ Reply to Thread